Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Potty retraining

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Roberta Rohen, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Roberta Rohen

Roberta Rohen PetForums Newbie

Hey, guys. I have a lovely and super calm 2-year-old Boston Terrier. He’d never caused me any trouble except for the seasonal shedding, which is more than expected for this breed. We are a family of three, just my husband, my son and I, and we live in an apartment which isn’t exactly big but that’s not a pack of sardines either. Two weeks ago we took some days off to visit my mom. She has a country house, super spacious, with this luscious green lawn and a lovely orchard. Not only that. There are three other dogs there, so you can imagine how Beans - that’s my dog - relished the 2 weeks we spent at my mom’s. We came back home yesterday. And that’s why I’ve come to you. Beans is, naturally, a bit depressed. But that’s not the worst: he hasn’t relieved himself in the apartment - which he always had before - once since we arrived. He does so when we walk him, but refuses to use his pee pads. What should we do? I can walk him every time, sure, but I don’t want to condition him to relieving himself outside exclusively, especially because of the weather and all. Plus, I’m certain there must be health implications to not urinating and defecating for hours on end. Please, I really need some guidance here.

2. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

It just seems to me that he doesn’t need to go. If he needs to, he will.
    “I don’t want to condition him to relieving himself outside exclusively, especially because of the weather and all”. I don’t quite understand what you mean. Are you intending NOT to walk him when the weather is bad?! I’d be more worried about that. Dogs need exercise - not only physically, but also for their mental well being.

Burrowzig, tabelmabel and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

This seems a bit strange - why would you want your adult dog defacating and urinating inside your flat?

I get that you are in an apartment, but at 2yrs old your dog really doesnt need to be on puppy pads. Some dogs have bladders of steel.

My male dog is 7 yrs old now. He gets his main outdoor exercise (well, his only outdoor exercise) between about 10 a.m and 11.30 a.m

He does all his toilets during that time, then he comes home and wont need out again til next day at 10 ish!

I dont know if that is usual or healthy - but i can say he has been like this for very many years and keeps in great health bladder wise. He drinks well too, i really dont know how he does it but im sure there was a thread on here a while back and there were a few dogs just like him.

Many other dogs will manage with that plus a chance to relieve themselves last thing before bed.

I am guessing you are in the states and not UK? I cant think i know anyone who doesnt condition their dog to toilet outdoors exclusively - provided the dog is healthy, surely that is desirable?

No matter what part of the world you're in, though - as ian says dogs do need walked daily to maintain good mental well being. There are many that dont enjoy the rain, it is true but you really do need to be getting out there in all weathers for toilets.

Surely it will be far nicer for you not to have pee and poop in your flat?!

Adult dogs can hold off a fair few hours so you're not going to be up and down in the lift every 5 mins.

Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Roberta Rohen

Thanks so much for replying, Mabel! It’s been so useful! I had no idea dogs could spend that long without peeing or pooping. I know it’d be much better for us and for Beans to relieve himself outside all the time, really. But it’s just that most of the time my son’s at school and my husband and I are both at work, so the dog uses his pee pads basically all the time. So I guess I just assumed his bladder would pretty much explode if he didn’t go, you know? Reading that your dog is 7 now, super healthy and spends a day without peeing or pooping and is just fine sounds like a relief to me. Thanks a bunch!

tabelmabel likes this.
  5. Roberta Rohen

Thanks for replying, Ian. Sure I mean to walk him as many times as I can. It’s just that he normally pees and poops on his pads like a gazillion times a day, and he’s not doing so at the moment. So I thought: what if I can’t get him outta the apartment for some reason, you know? It got me worried sick ‘cause the dog’s not peeing or pooping indoors after we came back from my mom’s country house - it’s like he just wants to do it outside. My doubt is: can dogs go that long without relieving themselves? Might my dog be sick?

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d get him into a good routine.

Jack goes out in the garden when we get up in the morning for a quickie.

He is walked at 0830 and usually has a full empty.

He’s then usually happy to chill out for most of the day and might not want to toilet for several hours. I will encourage him out if I think he’s gone too long or I need to go out for a while so he’s empty.

He usually toilets after his dinner and occasionally last thing before bed.

Depending how long your dog is left at home alone during the day he should be able to get into a suitable routine of toileting outside.

Chances are he’s copied the other dogs and prefers not to soil his living space. Though a pad down in case of accidents might be prudent at first.

Make sure he’s going out at roughly the same times to establish the routine and has the opportunity to empty.

tabelmabel and JoanneF like this.
  7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Dogs generally don't like toileting in the areas they sleep and live in, so that's probably why he now feels happy toileting outside. Have your tried a cat litter tray with some turf or soil or gravel in? Rather than a pee pad which is like soft furnishings, try something that is more like outside. That way, if he does really need to toilet, he's got something more outdoorsy to toilet in. Dogs can hold their bladder for ages, but it's not always good to hang on for hours, especially if they aren't used to it. And all dogs are individuals; my girl could hold it for 24 hours if need be (I haven't ever left her this long, obviously!), but the boys tend to need to pee a bit more often.

tabelmabel likes this.
  8. Roberta Rohen

Thanks so much for replying! You’ve contributed great input here. He must have mirrored the other dogs’ behavior and now doesn’t feel like it’s natural to soil the house. I’m definitely going to get him into a routine now. This way I can combine his walks and toilet in one, right?

tabelmabel and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. Roberta Rohen

I’ve been using the pee pads since potty training and, if I’m being honest, they’re not the most convenient or the most environmentally-friendly either. I’d never thought of using a cat litter before, though. Makes much more sense, especially now, when he seems to be so excited toileting outdoors (which is so much more sensible, really). Thanks a lot for the input!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice