Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

*Potentially distressing photo* Baby rat or mouse? Please help me identify

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Tiffanyv, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Tiffanyv

Tiffanyv PetForums Newbie

174FEF5D-6B9D-4C04-BB7C-4177A88FD083.png ED470404-E159-492A-B3B0-0CCCE5A7C63A.jpeg
    Hi there,
    sorry if the photo attached is a bit distressing.
    I know nothing about rodents so please forgive me. Today I found a baby rodent stuck to a gluey piece of roofing/tile in the alley behind my work. I thought it was dead at first but noticed it’s foot trying to move so I poured mct coconut oil, which was all I had available, onto the rodent to try and free it up. I ended up putting him in a box with water and food to try and help him get some strength back. He seems a bit better so I will likely set him free in a day or so. I’m not sure if it’s a rat or mouse. I live in Vancouver Canada and when I researched it looked like it might be a roof rat or a house mouse. If you have any suggestions on what I should be feeding him to get his strength back or whether it’s a rat or mouse, that would be greatly appreciated. Also any ideas on how old it might be? It’s absolutely tiny, maybe 1 inch long plus his tail.
    Thanks so much for your help.

2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Oh My gosh how awful! Glad you saved the poor thing from a horrid death!

with it being so small I’d be inclined to say mouse but I’m no expert! I’m in the UK so not sure what species are common in Canada. Well done for helping the little thing though. Are there any wildlife rescue centres in your area that might be able to help with food?

Tiffanyv likes this.
  3. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Tiffanyv: It looks like a mouse . . . he looks fit and well now; well done, poor thing must have been terrified. I read that a mouse's tail is normally twice the length of its body which this seems to be. Mice (and rats) will eat practically anything - fruit, biscuits, breakfast cereal; they are not fussy. And water of course. Lucky mouse!
    Just to add: mice are pretty good jumpers, and I reckon he could be out of that box quite soon. I remember taking the lid off a bin of horse feed which was half full, and a mouse jumped clean out . . . probably about 20 inches.

#3 Calvine, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Tiffanyv and Teddy-dog like this.
  4. teddylion

teddylion PetForums Member

Oh my goodness, the expression on that poor creature's face stuck in glue is heart-breaking. No civilised society should be selling those awful glue traps! So glad you managed to save him/her.

Please wear gloves if handling him though as people have died from a rodent biting them.

Tiffanyv likes this.
  5. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

Glue traps are awful things. Thanks for rescuing him or her

Tiffanyv likes this.
  6. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Those back feet and tail say a baby rat to me and looking through many pictures of roof rats that is my guess.
    Your best bet is to find a wildlife rescue so they can identify him/her correctly to give them the best chance of survival :)

Tiffanyv likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice