Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Potential Stroke

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by shelly989, Oct 22, 2012.

1. shelly989

shelly989 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I have an 8 and a half year old rabbit called Betty. On Saturday she started having a fit in her hutch. Since then she has not had another one (to my knowledge). She is still eating and drinking and can just about manage to hop from one side of the hutch to the other but is definitely favouring her left side and her left eye isn't functionining correctly.

I have held off taking her to the vets and she is so old and this would be so stressful for her.

I have come to the conclusion that she has had a stroke as my other rabbit who I lost a couple of months ago had E.Cuniculi and his head was very tilted, whereas Betty's head is not tilting.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Michelle

2. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Errr vets NOW........

3. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

I'm sorry about your poor bun. One of my previous bun's had a stroke, and sounds very similar to what you described ( exept mine wasn't on the side of her). She had a fit then her back legs went all limp and the feeling went in them. She could still eat and drink, but her back end had completely failed. Because I was much younger and she was still eating/drinking and she was my heartrabbit, I kept her and looked after her and she lived for another 2 years or so, I found her dead the morning she was due to go to the vets. In hindsight though, it wasn't right to do that, and if it happened again, I would of had her put down straight away as it really wasn't fair on her. Hopefully yours will recover enough to live a normal life or a fairly normal one.:)

4. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Just thought I'd add that just because the head isn't tilted that does NOT mean that you can rule out EC.

Please take your rabbit to a vet, you can't self diagnose and if it is EC then bunny will need treatment ASAP.

5. gem88

gem88 PetForums VIP

why on earth didnt you get you bun to the vet as soon as the fit happened!?

6. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

Please get your rabbit to the vets ASAP- it sounds as though E.Cuniculi is a very large possibility, as it is contagious and your previous rabbit had it. She needs urgent treatment and a course of Panacur (if it is EC).

Sorry if I sound blunt or forceful, but I can't stress the vet trip enough! I hope she's okay, please keep us updated! Sending lots of vibes for Betty x

#6 JordanRose, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  7. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Have to agree - if you've already had a case of EC, then this seems the most likely cause. Not all have head tilt, and not all head tilt is caused by EC.

If it was an out of the blue fit, there will be an underlying cause. The fit may have caused brain damage, hence paralysis, which may or may not be permanent.

Sorry to be so bleak, but do get bun to the vets and see what they say.

8. shelly989

Thank you for all your help.

Betty was treated for E.C. straight away after we lost Arthur. I am happy to report that after seeing her this afternoon (she lives at my mum's house you see) she is much better today so I think I made the right decision.

I didn't take her straight to the vets when she started fitting as she would have harmed herself fitting in a box being taken to the vet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 shelly989, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  9. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

No she needs to see a vet, just because she was treated for EC after the death of her friend does not mean she is safe for life. EC could still be an issue.

Sorry to be harsh but your rabbit needs to be seen by a VET, fitting is not something that should EVER be taken lightly :mad:

I have taken fitting rabbits to the vet so that excuse is ridiculous if I'm honest.....

10. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

To safely transport, all you need to do is put a soft fleecy blanket under and around your bunny, to protect her.

We once had a bunny who had a fit, reason unknown, who made a full recovery. I hope yours does too.

Have your or your mum used any spot on treatments recently on her? She might have had a reaction.

I am thinking that if EC is eliminated, then something toxic may be a possibilty. Could she have got to anything toxic? Or had she had a severe fright that might have triggered it?

Even if she is improving, I would urge you to get the vet to have a look at her. She may have underlying issues, as well as what you can see.

11. JordanRose

Could you not pay for a vet to come and see her at home? Surely, that'll be a win-win scenario. If you explained your situation, I'm sure they'd consider it...

I agree that she needs to be seen, even if she looks a bit better. If this was one of my two, they'd be straight up to the emergency surgery without a second thought!

12. Louiseandfriends

Louiseandfriends PetForums Senior

[size="x-large"]vets! Vets! Vets! [/size]

13. shelly989

I strongly advise you that I have found no EXCUSE not to take her to the vets! I simply did what I thought was best for her. I have also taken fitting rabbits to the vets before and can safely say every time the stress made them worse!!!! Please don't assume I am making excuses, I can to this forum for help not to be criticised!
    Thank u to everyone who has genuinely tried to help - me and Betty are very grateful!!

14. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

So as the advice has been "take her to the vets" across the board, and you weren't making excuses I assume you have now taken her to the vets?

What did the vets say?

15. JordanRose

Please don't feel like we're being critical, as Bernie says, you've asked for advice and the advice has been given i.e. that a vet should see to her. I don't know what else you wanted us to say, as I for one can't think of anything else to do.

If you got a vet out to you, if possible, the stress shouldn't be an issue, and surely, if she could be prescribed something to ease her symptoms, it would be worth it.

I hope Betty is okay x

16. shelly989

Aww yes I know most people are trying to help just some were are so rude! I am new to this forum thing so maybe it's normal!
    Yes I have taken Betty to the vets, they think she's had a stroke and said there's nothing they can give her just got to do what we are doing.
    Thanks everyone!
    Michelle and Betty

17. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

i do hope Betty continues to improve.

If we appear critical or rude, it is because we get desperate. We know how early treatment can make such a difference, and many of us nurse rabbits that didn't have that, and need lifelong care.

it makes us feel helpless, if we know there is a bunny out there that needs help and isn't getting it. Some of the stories are horrific.

Thank you for taking her to the vets.

18. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

To add to what Summer has said even early treatment and diagnosis sometimes isn't fast enough as I found out myself just over a week ago. BUT the sooner you seek treatment the better the chances of recovery.

19. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

Yep that's what the vets told me about mine, that she'd had a stroke and nothing could be done about it, and that I could either put her down straight away or leave her for a while and see if she recovered partially on her own. Unfortunately she never regained use of her back legs and was paralyzed from the middle of her back down. My beautiful bun who had done tons of walking around with me, been on car trips and shopping more than any other rabbit proberbly has became a different rabbit and it was awful to see. Whereas once she would sit up and jump up on command, she could barely keep herself up right to eat, in fact she couldn't eat out of a bowl at all, had to have food hand fed or put directly on the floor and be lifted into her bed at night. Utterly distressing to see and now I'm older I can see I made a very wrong decision in not letting her go.

20. shelly989

Oh god that sounds awful and very distressing.
    Betty is barely leaning to the left though now and can hop round her hutch and eat and drink on her own. She used to come out every morning and had the run of the garden but I won't be letting her out on her own anymore I'm just going to let her stretch her legs inside for now so I can keep an eye on her. I know if she goes downhill it is inevitable I will have to have her put to sleep. She is a fighter though I've never had a rabbit who has survived something so traumatic and never had one live so long. She is a very special bunny!
    Thank u for sharing your story and I'm sorry to hear what happened.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice