Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Potential Pregnancy- Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Engel98, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

2 weeks ago I got a 4 year old dog. Her last heat cycle was august last year so her next one would've been February of this year. Whilst shaving her down (as she was matted), I noticed dried blood within a mat by her vulva, so she's obviously been on heat in the weeks prior to me getting her. Whilst with me she hasn't been flagging or receptive. So im making an educated guess in saying that she was receptive at her previous home. However, there was an intact male at the last home.

Anyway, fast-forward to now, she has still got a slightly swollen vulva. Her nipples are definitely enlarged with a pink hue. She's not really interested in food. She will eat some kibble but its little and often. All other bodily functions are normal.

Is it possible for her to be pregnant?

(If she is I've guess-timated that she'd be roughly 3-4 weeks)

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

This is not your first thread about this. In a previous thread, you said she had been with 3 to 4 intact males.

If she was with entire males during her season, she is going to be pregnant.

As previously advised, you need to take the advice of your Vet.

Linda Weasel, Lurcherlad and O2.0 like this.
  3. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

thanks @Rafa. Yes that is correct. I was going to add onto my previous thread but I don't know how to get back to it :( im still working out how to navigate the forums so I apologise if I post many threads on the same thing. Vet doesn't believe so; and if the signs suggest pregnancy even if the vet says no i'd rather know. im slightly concerned as theres a lack of interest when it comes to food

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Normally, a pregnant bitch would only lose appetite when she is about to begin labour.

At this stage, if your bitch is not interested in her food, I would look for another reason. She could be having a false pregnancy or maybe she simply doesn't need much food.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Wisteria

Wisteria PetForums Newbie

I adopted my border collie when she was six months old and experienced a range of strange things in the first few weeks of having her. She was iffy with food and was constipated due to stress. Maybe its the stress of the move? It could just be part of her adjustment to a new home.
    On her first heat, her vulva and nipples were enlarged for a few weeks after bleeding too. It's possible she has already completed that stage of her cycle.
    Also, it might be she doesn't like the food! You might have a picky eater - I would definitely try a tray of Forthglade. Seen a lot of feedback of how their food is loved by fussy dogs. Or maybe you can ask the previous owners what they fed her and try that brand?
    Best of luck❤

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

Thanks @Wisteria her previous owner fed her on either Tesco home brand or pets at homes home brand. She didn't eat that weeks prior to the move and she couldn't eat the kibble because of her damaged teeth. When she did eat some it was obvious it didn't agree with her! She's now on AVA sensitive stomach and skin (softened with water) and has been loving it. Just these past couple of days she's not been interested in food.

7. BUDDY18

BUDDY18 PetForums Member

All dogs go through phases of being off food. Stick to the usual meal times, give her 20 minutes and then remove what's left. Don't leave it out as this would only reinforce the picky eating behaviour. Give her lots of praise when she does eat.

You could try adding some bone broth to the kibble?

8. Wisteria

Wisteria PetForums Newbie

Oh bless her! That sounds awful :-( I'm sure this is all part of the adjustment but of course, if it carries on for the next few days, talk to your vet. I hope she gets better!

9. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

Thank you, I have tried this and it does work on occasion but it seems that she goes through phases of it like you've mentioned. Ive decided to add some really smelly wet food to entice her and that seems to be working. I may need to transfer her onto wet permanently and we went back to the vets and the vet said that when shes spayed she'll sort her teeth out and not to be surprised if she ends up with not many teeth left. I think she is having pain with her teeth, when picking up a ball her gums bleed :(

10. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

In that case, I would definitely switch her onto wet food.

If her mouth is painful, she will be reluctant to tackle dry food.

11. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

Indeed, its just a case of finding a decent wet food that's hypoallergenic and grain free. I'm going to the pet shop tomorrow to find some any suggestions?

12. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Do you have a Pets at Home close to you? If so, their own brand, Wainwrights, is very good.

If not, Harringtons do a grain free wet and it is available in Supermarkets.

kimthecat likes this.
  13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Rocco classic (some varieties) are grain free and good quality -100% meat. You can get mixed packs at a decent price from Zooplus (online). Also look at Rinti - Zooplus do them, too.

14. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

Thank you I will have a look

15. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

Thanks @Rafa.

16. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

Lovejoys also do grain free varieties, as do naturo

Engel98 likes this.
  17. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

UPDATE

I thought I'd update you all, Bella went to the vets for a scan and the vet said that we were too early to see anything but could confirm that there was fluid in the uterus. She also said to keep a look out for signs of pyometra (which there hasn't been) and for her to be rescanned on 12th April.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Blitz likes this.
  18. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

ADVICE NEEDED

Bella doesn't have the vets for the rescan until the 12th but im not sure that shes going to last that long. She's bellied up real quick and struggling to get comfy. There's a lot of nesting behaviour and I'm pretty sure I can and see something moving. is it worth moving the appointment closer or just wait?

19. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It does sound as though she may be pregnant.

I wouldn't wait and see, I would book her in to see your Vet on Monday, if you can.

You do need to know what you're dealing with as, at the least, you need a whelping box, should she be pregnant, and to make arrangements for her to be constantly supervised for at least a couple of weeks, pre and post delivery.

O2.0 likes this.
  20. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I'm sorry I didn't see your previous thread as I would have advised you to get her spayed rather than the poor girl with bad teeth and a bad tummy who has already gone through two litters certainly would be far better off with an emergency spay than another pregnancy and whelping :(

Torin., Linda Weasel and Rafa like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice