Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Potential new groomer

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by Dawnsoraya, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Dawnsoraya

Dawnsoraya PetForums Newbie

Hi All

I wonder if you can help with a couple of questions I have please.

I am just starting a dog grooming course with the intention of setting up in a summerhouse at home. However I have also recently looked at mobile vans and wondered what the pro's and cons are of each. Have any of you experienced groomers done both and find one better than the other. I know that mobile gives me more flexibility and further reach maybe and I'm not using up a building on my land, but whats the cons?

Also what do you do with the dog hair you groom?

Thnaks
    Dawn

2. Hardwick Hounds

Hardwick Hounds PetForums Senior

waste regulations should be covered in your course. If you groom from home I believe not using your domestic bin for waste is part of the planning agreement. You can pay for commercial waste to be collected.

You should do a SWOT analysis for both really. And consider your competition. Also, a course is simply not enough experience to enable you to set up alone. I would consider trying to rent a table if you can't find employment.

A van is extremely cold in winter but you can dress for that. You can groom on your drive or go mobile so you have flexibility. In a cabin you'd have people going on your garden and knocking on your door to book in (though I had that with a van on the drive. Very annoying). You have fuel and vehicle maintenance costs to consider. A van is an asset that you can sell on, a garden building isn't. Parking can be a problem for people grooming from home. If you have a mortgage you may not be permitted do run a business from home, you'd have to check the Ts and Cs

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice