Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Potential Health Problem with my Cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by essexmat, May 12, 2010.

1. essexmat

essexmat PetForums Junior

Good afternoon everyone, first time poster here.

I have 2 male cats, one 14 years old and the other 12 years old

Over the last few weeks the 12 year old who is overweight has been drinking a lot more than normal so I took him to the vets to get checked out as my theory was diabetes. Blood tests were done and the diabetes test came back all clear. The vet did however say that his kidney reading was around 10 and should be around 15 (not sure what the measurement is) but was not overly concerned - he had also lost a very small amount of weight, again the vet was not overly concerned but told me to simply keep an eye on him.

Well, a week has passed, he is still drinking but in himself he is fine, eating, washing, purring and being generally affectionate - so what could this be? The only other thing I have noticed is that although not too bad his fur is slightly more out of shape than normal but again, nothing too excessive and he is still washing and keeping clean.

I was going to take him back in a couple of weeks to see if any other tests can be done as I want to make sure he is OK. I did also forget to mention that the vet gave him AMOX tablets for a week as she thought it MAY be a kidney infection.

All the best
    Mat

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Hi do you feed him dry food :confused: that can make them drink more.

3. essexmat

essexmat PetForums Junior

Yes, they both eat dry food as well as wet food but this particular cat has been drinking more than normal. Very strange.

4. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

Try wet food, or wet as well as dry.
    Hope all is well.

5. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

I would give him more wet for now & see what he's like when the pills have finished, hope he's ok & just a time of year thing :) Simba our 16 yr old sometimes has days of drinking alot he is very thin but fine otherwise after haveing his thyroids out last year. They are a worry sometimes :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice