Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pot bellied kitten. worms?????

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by monty's mum, May 12, 2010.

1. monty's mum

monty's mum PetForums Newbie

I have 2 nine week old kittens both of which I have had since 5 weeks old as the mum rejected the litter and tried to harm them several times. 3 weeks ago i took them to the vets as they had runny bums and looked a little pot bellied. the vet gave me panacur to worm them with and synulox for the runs which cleared up with in a few days.
    I then noticed that one of them still had a pot belly so I took her back to the vet and the saw a different vet and she was really funny with me saying that just cause they looked like that didnt mean they had worms as I had not seen any, and that i could not worm them again untill they were 12 weeks old. this to me seemed wrong so i asked to see the originally vet and she told me that i could worm them again as it had nearly been 2 weeks since the first dose. She still however has a pot belly not as big as it was but gets bigger when she eats. i need to know if this is normal?. Or if it could still be worms as I was told that panacur doesnt get rid of tapeworms, is this true?. Should I go back to the vet and ask If i can use a different worm on her like milbemax as this is what I use on my other cats.

So sorry this has been a long post. I just needed to get it off my chest and ask some questions.
    thanks jo

2. Tje

Tje Banned

I live in a different country and am not familiar with those particular worm products. But I thought most kittens (even in the UK) were generally wormed either 3 separate times (say 4 wks 6 wks and 8wks and then monthly until they’re 6 months ) or they were wormed every 2 weeks after 6 weeks of age then monthly, then bi-annually ….

You could look up the manufactures websites for these particular products and see what they recommend?? Not all vets follow manufacturer’s advice. Or sometimes they just get muddled up between products.

My gut feeling (again though, I don’t know these products)… kittens should be wormed 3 times initially, generally in two week intervals.

3. bug_girl

bug_girl PetForums Junior

It's quite common for kittens to be pot-bellied. It doesn't necessarily mean they have worms, it's just the way they are. If they are otherwise healthy it's nothing to worry about. Just worm them as per the advised schedule (once every X weeks, whatever the pills say).

4. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

my kits are wormed 3 times

4, 6, 8 weeks as a rule, I then reccomend new owners (if they have been homed at 8weeks - i volunteer for rescue so dont have so much control on their homing age) to worm at 12 weeks too.

I use panacur soloution for kittens, however i do echo the other post and often some kittens are just a bit fatter (and so look pot bellied) than others.

If your kitten is as active as the others, showing no problems with poo/wee, eating well, sleeping normally etc then i really wouldnt worry too much. Just stick to the reccomended schedule.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice