Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Postnatal depression...mum kills her 2 children

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, Oct 31, 2012.

1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Felicia Boots: Postnatally depressed mother who killed her 14-month-old daughter and 10-week-old son will not face prison | Mail Online

I was listening on the radio about this case,and i have to say i feel so sorry for all involved.
    The mind can be such an awful thing.:(

His wife had been diagnosed with postnatal depression after the birth of both children. She had been prescribed antidepressant medication and her condition outwardly appeared to be improving.
    Hours before she killed her children she sent a photograph taken on her mobile phone of Lily to her husband, who took this as a sign that she was feeling better.
    He was unaware that she had stopped taking the medication because she was worried about its side effects while breast feeding despite reassurances from her doctor.
    Computer records show she made a series of Google searches about her concerns in the preceding weeks.
    'I AM TRULY SORRY': FELICIA BOOTS HEARTBREAKING LETTER
    Felicia Boots counsel read a letter to the court from the mother, who said that she would never forget the events of May 9 - the day she killed her children.
    It read: 'May 9, 2012, is a day I will be eternally sorry for.
    'It should never have happened.
    'It troubles me more than anyone will ever know.
    'Part of me will always be missing.
    'I am a good person.
    'I am a good mum and I never meant any of this to happen.
    'I am truly sorry.'
    In a note found next to the bodies she ‘questioned how she could have done such a thing’. She wrote how ‘she was scared and sorry’ and that her ‘life started to fall apart a few weeks before’.
    Her husband called the emergency services but paramedics were unable to save the children.
    His wife, who was ‘unsteady and weak on her feet’, was arrested.
    Mr Boots told officers at the scene that his wife was a good mother and he ‘could not believe that she would do such a thing’.

northnsouth likes this.
  2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

You should really stop reading the mail online Janice :lol:

3. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

I saw this on the news last night. I agree, truly sad and tragic for all concerned. :(

4. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

Absolutley heart breaking, I made good friends with a lady I went to ante natal classes with, she ended up being sectioned because of PND it was heart breaking for her family.. but with help and counselling she did get through it..

I think this lady Mrs Boots needs compassion not judging IMVHO

5. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

Tragic. Heart breaking such a tragic illness :( rip little ones.

The husband is a very brave man

that said if her brother killed himself i would ask if there are any genetic mental health issues

6. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Note my post, i did say i heard it on the radio.;)

7. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Heartbreaking for all concerned :(

8. noogsy

noogsy PetForums VIP

this is a heart breaking case,
    its so awful for the whole family.

9. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Apparently her brother had suffered from depression before committing suicide.:(

10. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

How awful :( I absolutely agree with ^ this!

11. Muze

Muze PetForums VIP

Terrible tragedy.

Very difficult to know what to say though, people with other severe mental illnesses kill people and are rarely just 'forgiven' and offered intensive treatment instead of imprisonment.

Should mental illness be an excuse for crime??
    Why is post natal depression any different to any other kind of severe depression or hormonal issue?

Hugely sad for the family, though personally, I would not support her having more children, JMHO and no doubt controversial, sorry :eek:.

Wow Janice199, you really are the master of the serious thread :001_unsure:

12. lennythecloud

lennythecloud PetForums Senior

Well maybe more people with severe mental illness SHOULD recieve treatment, that might stop this crazy system of the police, paramedics and prison staff acting as mental health nurses. Mental health treatment isn't some kind of easy alternative to prison and what good is giving her a prison sentance going to do for anyone anyway?

PND is no small issue and can include full blown psychosis - a pretty big 'excuse' IMO.

13. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

I actually think this is a case of postnatal psychosis, it takes ALOT for a mum to hurt her babies.

FYI mental illness is extremely difficult to live with and treat as you go through stages of paranoia etc where you avoid those who could help. Ive only been psychotic twice.
    During my last psychosis I became completely manic, I thought helicopters were watching me and they had sent my loved ones to kill me and decided id get them first. I tried to stab my sister, she managed to throw me off and i ran home. In the trees there were people hanging. Their knecks were broken as their heads were floppy but they were alive and watching me. They laughed at how scared I was and swung themselves side to side, all the time making no sound. When my fiance came hime he found me in a corner cuddling the dog and holding a knife. He got the knife from me but i thought he was going to kill me do i attempted to bite my fiances face off. He threw me off and i ran into the bedroom where I tried to get out the window ( wer were on the top floor) He somehow got me to a hospital where i was sedated and sent to rest on a psych ward for a week.

My story is to try and let you see what being psychotic is like. It is a complete break with reality, you have no conscience or feeling you did before.
    Which part of my story screams the actions of a sane responsible human, how can you consider the actions rational and accountable?

#13 Starlite, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
    Grace_Lily likes this.
  14. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I think if the mental illness is severe, ie. the person really has no control over their behaviour, then help is what they need.Sending them to prison wouldn't be of any use.
    I do like a good debate.;):D

15. skip

skip PetForums VIP

I agree if the mental illness and I mean any mental illness not just post natal depression is severe prison won't help because many people sent to prison who have not gone in to prison with mental health issues come out with them

#15 skip, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  16. metame

metame PetForums VIP

i know someone who suffered from post natal psychosis and the only reason they didn't kill their baby was because they didn't know when it was really their baby and when it was a robot.

17. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I'm quite surprised she has escaped jail. I do not think for one moment she should be there, but there are times when the justice system appears to completely miss the point that someone needs help.

18. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

Starlite I liked your post not because I like your situation but admire your strength in telling us.

19. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

I am not ashamed of who/how I am and feel people need to speak out as no one talks about mental illness so its very misunderstood.

I am now on medication and therapy (im type 2 Bipolar) and my mission is never to return to such a frightening state as I now have my son. I will not allow him the childhood I had, i should seriously write a book.

My heart breaks for this women, she lives her life knowing her babies are dead and it was by her hands.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice