Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Postmen get Doggy Mace

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Snoringbear, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

2. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

I cant see this being used responsibly at all.
    20 minutes is a long time for a dog to be stunned and I for one would not be happy if some trigger happy idiot maced Ty just for being a Staffy even though he is the softest dog ever (I can imagine a lot of dogs will be getting maced just because the postie thinks they look mean)

3. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I don't think this is a workable idea as the change of abuse is too high. However I think some postmen should have training on how to behave around dogs and how to read body language.

I once had a postman come to my door with a package. I opened the door holding our old dog Rex's collar (staffy cross). The postman took one look at him (Rex hadn't barked or shown much interest in the postman other then 'Ooo the door is open.') and threw a package at me which resulted in my letting go of Rex's collar to catch it before it hit me. The postman ran off and Rex followed thinking 'great! He wants to play chase!'

The postman got in his van before Rex got any where near him and wound down his window to swear at me and tell me to get my dangerous dog under control. Rex was now wondering down the street sniffing out what he could pee up next.

The very next day we received a letter from Royal Mail complaining about our dangerous dog and saying we would have to pick up our post from now on. We complained that the postman behaved inapporiately arounf Rex, firstly throwing the package at me so I let go of the collar and then running away, which attracted Rex's attention.

We received an apology and a new postman.

I believe that Postmen should be safe on their rounds, but a little common sense goes a long way.

4. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

My postman went through a phase recently of taking my post back to the depot simply because Alfie barks. My postbox is fixed to the outside of the gate though so it's not as if he has to come through or put any limbs on to my property.

I did point out that it was quite inconvenient and as the post arrives at varying times between 9.30am and 12.30pm there's no way I could keep Alfie indoors for that length of time.

They agreed that it was a bit extreme given that, Alf's not nasty and also they don't even have to go into the garden at all lol!

Also, I didn't have a car so it just got to the stage where I just wasn't ever getting any mail - quite nice not to be having bills tho, albeit only temporarily! :)

5. davehyde

davehyde Banned

too much H&S today.

as for mace, it's illegal over here aint it? for dogs or humans.
    if someone maced my dog for barking in his own property i would react rather violently towards them

extract from sspca

Tom Gatherer, deputy chief superintendent with SSPCA, said: "The SSPCA is not opposed to such sprays as long as it's not harmful to the welfare of the animals."

of course it's harmful the pillock. who knows what psychological damage it does.

can we mace a postman for trespass?

#5 davehyde, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  6. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

If i've read it correctly its a peppermint spray they are talking about using.Whatever it is i don't agree with it.But i do think that if people cannot do their job without fear of being harmed by dogs, then the owners should be held responsible not the dog.

7. davehyde

davehyde Banned

hi jan, i also dont agree with ppl getting hurt by dogs hile doing there job.

but my mate jamie is a postie and he was telling me how petty most of these 'dog attacks' are.

he has a mate who got his fingers nipped through a low level letter box and he is milking the sick pay for england. stresss and trauma the lot.

if a dog barks they complain, very very few actual attacks or bites.

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Our postman already has a dog deterrent, not sure what but he was issued with it a few months ago. He has taken to leaving the post in our lorry if the dogs are in the garden which really annoys me as he knows the dogs and always fusses them and we could go days before we find the post.
    On the other hand our old postman was very badly savaged by a local dog and no action was taken at all.
    Maybe we should have boxes outside our property like they do in America and Canada.

9. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I can believe that, what a sad society(sp) we live in. if i was the postman i'd leave a note in a neighbours letter box saying "if you want ya post sort ya dog out) ;):D:D pmsl

10. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Can't see it being used properly at all. I think if anything don't deliver the mail and as long as the people have a postbox that you can get to without the dog, deliver it again!

Luckily Roo only goes out in the back and we have a front porch the postman DUMPS our post in...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice