Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Postcrossing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Inca's Mum, May 8, 2010.

1. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

I wonder if there is anybody here that is on this? If you don't know what it is, then here is a 'little' explanation copied from the site.

The project
    The goal of this project is to allow people to receive postcards from all over the world, for free. Well, almost free! The main idea is that: if you send a postcard, you will receive at least one back from a random Postcrosser from somewhere in the world.

Why? Because, like the author, there are lots of people who like to receive real mail.
    The element of surprise of receiving postcards from different places in the world (many of which you probably have never heard of) can turn your mailbox into a box of surprises - and who wouldn't like that?

How does it work?
    First, the short version:

1. request an address from the website
    2. mail the postcard to the address
    3. wait to receive a postcard
    4. register the received postcard in the system

The first step is to request to send a postcard. The website will display (and send you an e-mail) with the address of another member and a Postcard ID (e.g.: US-786). You then mail a postcard to that member.

The member receives the postcard and registers it using the Postcard ID that is on the postcard. At this point, you are eligible to receive a postcard from another user. You are now in line for the next person that requests to send a postcard. Where the postcard comes from is a surprise!

You can have up to 5 postcards traveling at any single time. Every time one of the postcards you send is registered, you can request another address. The number of postcards allowed to travel at any single time goes up the more postcards you send!

Anyway, onto the main reason I started the thread was to share with you my new folder to keep my postcards in. I grabbed my magazines and got chopping, and although I'm not really creative I knew I could manage this!

I just spent a little under an hour sorting this! I was at my mum's work today typing up a history report and she found me these poly pockets which they use to store photos but hardly ever use so I got like 30+ of those and also a big folder to keep them in! I was dead happy, and all for free too when I was planning on spending around 15 pound for a folder alone :lol: I did have to trim some of the cards which wouldn't fit in but they only needed a little bit bar one from Malta (3rd picture, top left) as it had a border so made it a lot bigger so took off most of the border which was a shame but the lovely picture is still there and most of the text!

I only have 10 cards right now, :embarassed: some are from official swaps (requesting an address) and the rest are from the forum and tags on various kind of themes which are un-official and one (Saluti Da Darzo) is from my penpal in Italy! Here is a map of my official sent and received (the un-official ones aren't tracked) My Postcrossing Map.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 Inca's Mum, May 8, 2010
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
  2. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

I like your folder and the whole idea seems pretty cool.
    :thumbup:

3. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

your folder is really smart :thumbup: and the whole idea is really good

4. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

nice one :thumbup: :thumbup:

5. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

Thats really cool Jess! I like.

6. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

Thanks all, the next thing I need to figure out is how/where I can store all of my letters because my desk draw is cluttered and I need a major clear out of my whole room and I don't want to lose my letters!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice