Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Post-Surgery Help

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by MxP, Jun 1, 2019.

1. MxP

MxP PetForums Newbie

I have a male rabbit who has teeth problems, so the vet did surgery for that. Because he was never neutered prior, they decided to do that as well while he was under.
    Now he has a cone because he was licking so much that he opened up one of the incisions a tiny bit. They glued it back, but the cone freaks him out and he won't move or eat with it. We tried a kind of vest thing the vet gave us, but he can lift it up if no one is around (worried about at night).
    Any other options or ideas to keep him from opening it up again?

2. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

My bun went through a really similar thing last week, Fluffy has to have her teeth trimmed and they said she was taking the anastetic so well that they decided to spay her at the same time.

I would suggest having him on your lap with you as much as possible. Whenever he is with you remove his cone and jumper but keep a really close eye on him so he doesn’t nibble his owie. And only put his gear back on when he is on his own

MxP likes this.
  3. MxP

MxP PetForums Newbie

I guess it's fairly common when they're doing well under anaesthesia to do that as well. I hope Fluffy is doing well now! :) I am definitely keeping an eye on Robin. I took the day off work yesterday so I could watch him all day. He's getting cuddles without the cone too. I'm just worried he's not going to eat enough (so we're feeding him critical care) since he won't eat with the cone. I just feel so bad for him!
    Thanks for your reply!

4. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

Fluffy is doing okay, but shes not keen on eating, I've had her for a month and she still doesn't know that hay is food

MxP likes this.
  5. MxP

MxP PetForums Newbie

Aww, so she's quite young then? Robin is almost 5 years old (we got him from someone else who didn't want him anymore). He doesn't eat as much hay as the other rabbits I've had before. The vet said the hay is what helps them to keep their teeth under control, so the fact he doesn't love hay much is probably why this happened. I hope Fluffy discovers the hay is yummy soon!

6. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

Fluffy is 2, I adopted her from a rescue that kept her (and another bunny I got, Jack) in 2ftswaure enclosures with absolutely nothing in them he are jack both don't that hay is food and fluff has aperntly had pointy teeth since she was a baby, her humans never gave her hay so she has been getting really awful mouth and tongue ulcers that were never treated and shes been living with it for her whole life. I got them some timothy hay, which is meant to be yummier, but ive not seen her eating any yet

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice