UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, we have just got our kitty Narla back from the vets today - she has been spayed. The problem we have got is that she has been given one of them big plastic collars as she is not allowed to lick the wound etc etc, within a matter of an hour or so she keeps managing to pull it off!! Cannot get her to keep it on her (understandably so!) and the vets say she needs it on her for 10 days??

Now back in the real world, 10 days is so far from possible its ridiculous!!!!

Any advice?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Tie the collar tightly, so that you can only get one finger underneath, that should stop her pulling it over her head. If she goes to kick or pull at gently but frimly say no. They do get used to them pretty quickly and will even be jumping about after a couple of days. Keep her relatively quiet for tonight and move things out of her way, anything she might get caught on or knock over with the collar on, block any furniture she might want to go under as she will likely get stuck.

She should be able to eat with the collar on, if she has problems raise the food up a little, same with water. If she is to be left on her own, put her in a room where she will be safe from getting stuck. Recheck and re tie the collar if necessary at least once a day. Give her plenty of cuddles and you can wipe her over with a damp cloth as she will not be able to groom herself.

Ten days is not so long compared to the risk of infection if she were to pull the stitches out.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
my vets dont give out cone automatically as they think its more trauma for kitty - (but its free if you want it, can collect any time) - normally if they try 1 pull of stitches they 'learn' its really ouchy :eek:

one tested the stitches, it hurt:rolleyes: - never touched it again, and one never bothered. both healed fine.

i didnt use a cone. (ok, I took one home just in case- but didnt use!)

·
Banned
353 Posts
Don't worry. Mine got out of her collar while she was still in the vets. They gave up trying to get her back in it.

She'd ripped her stitches out within a day but she was absolutely fine. Her appetite was up and down for a few days but she hasn't had anything wrong otherwise.

Just keep an eye on her wound and phone the vet for advice if there are any changes in her behaviour.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice guys. one thingWe have done is kept her seperated from the other cats (which hasnt gone down too well, lol), but either way, its near on impossible to get her to keep that bloody thing on!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.