Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Post op drain has receded - is it emergency?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jaf, May 1, 2017.

1. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Jackie had an op Thursday to remove infected skin after a burst abscess didn't heal. Post op she has 2 drains, to be removed tomorrow, but 1 has receded inside her body.

Tried phoning vet, can't explain properly (in Spain and I have problems using telephones).

Can it wait until 9am tomorrow? She is eating fine, little bit of clear liquid coming out.

IMG_2106.JPG IMG_2107.JPG

2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

3. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Thanks. Have tried to speak to emergency vet (not the vet that did the op) and sent email with pics. Waiting for her to look at pics.

4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I can't tell from the photos, but if it's one piece of tubing coming out at two ends, it should be fine until tomorrow.

5. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Thanks. Just spoken the vets again, she talked to surgeon. He says it will be ok until tomorrow morning. Poor girl has been through such a lot.

6. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Sorry I wasn't about. It'll be fine, it's still attached on the other side so can be retrieved! Glad you got a response from your vet!

7. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Thanks. I really appreciate how much help you give us all.

I must work on my panic mode! Jackie has had lunch. She's more bothered about not being allowed out.

8. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

So this is not going well at all. The tube came out easily Tuesday morning. The vet left the holes alone, didn't staple them as they were still weepy. Now I can feel a big lump and both holes are infected. Back to vets tomorrow. She's been on antibiotics the whole time.

I suspect that the holes where the tube was will now have to have the skin cut away!

Jackie is still eating but poor girl. I wonder if there's a genetic predisposition to skin problems not healing well as her sister, Lori, is still struggling with her paw/ear/tummy.

9. Ceiling Kitty

Have samples been taken to ensure there's not an unusual infection going on?

10. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Thank you.

Yes they did, though she was on antibiotics at the time, (which you've said ideally one would wait 10 days without antibiotics before testing). Test showed Klebsiella sp. Vet said to carry on with Marbofloxacina antibiotics.

IMG_2110.PNG

11. Ceiling Kitty

If you're still having problems with the wounds not healing, they may need to test for atypical bacterial infections (such as Nocardia and Actinomyces), mycobacterial infections or deep fungal infections. These usually won't respond to the common antibiotics and can be easily missed unless you are specifically looking for them.

12. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Thank you. Will ask tomorrow. I suppose they can't test for absolutely everything but it will be frustrating if it is one of those.

13. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Just updating...Jackie had some dead skin pulled out of the holes. Second antibiotic prescribed. She has finished both antibiotics today and vet is happy that all the infection has gone! Yay!

Her fur is growing back really quickly and she remained happy all through it.

Thanks again.

Michebe and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  14. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums VIP

Thanks for the update on Jackie glad shes healing now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice