Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Post-op anaestetic effects?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kipling2536, Sep 5, 2015.

1. kipling2536

kipling2536 PetForums Junior

Hello all

Bertie (age4) had his teeth cleaned yesterday and 2 extractions. We adopted him from an animal charity. He was possibly a street dog before his owner had him for a while then he ended up with his mate in the charity.

His breath was awful, hence the teeth clean.

He is normally a pretty lively little German Spitz, plenty of spirit, bit of barking etc. He's never motivated by food though.

Last night, he just slept and this morning was wimpering a bit and wasn't himself. Phoned the vet who suggested a painkiller for him for both/either his gums and his throat, which could be sore due to the tube.
    She gave him an injection there and then and some painkiller tabs to be taken wih food.

Our dogs eat frozen raw meat food which is pretty mushy so not difficult to eat, but he normally makes a fuss about eating it slowly and pottering around between mouthfuls.

We couldn't give him tonights dose as he still doesn't want anything to eat. He's having a little drink but not much - he's peeing ok though and had a loose poo tonight but nothing too awful - I know this is probs the effects of the anaesthetic but he looks so sad.

Any advice much appreciated, to settle my mind.

Thank you

Amanda

2. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

Confusion, drowsiness, lack of appetite are common with a GA. This can last up to 48hrs, add in his mouth is likely to be sore from the extractions & it's not surprising he's a bit off colour.
    As long as he's drinking/weeing ok I wouldn't worry much about the not eating, keep up with the painkillers & give him another 24hrs..I bet you'll be surprised at the difference :)

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Poor little man, doesn't sound like anything unusual for after a GA though.

Make sure he has somewhere nice and comfy where he can sleep undisturbed and keep him warm, resting is the best thing for him at the moment. Keep trying him with different foods to tempt him to eat so you can get his painkillers in him - few dogs can resist cooked chicken or scrambled eggs, both served warm. Very palatable and gentle on his tum too.

I'm sure he'll be back to normal in a couple of days x

4. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

When my little lad had a GA he was very disorientated , shivery and didn't rely seem to know what he was supposed to be doing, it frightened me to death lol but he was back to himself within 48 hours, just make sure he is warm enough and drinking now and then and let him sleep it off and he will be fine

5. kipling2536

Thank you for your advice,all.

He's still off colour this morning, not much of his famous waggy tail going on. If he eats something we'll be able to give him a painkiller as they can only be administered with food. He sounds like he could do with one. Although he eats raw meat I may try him on a little fresh chicken meat as opposed to the pre-prepared stuff, or even a scrambled egg.

He's enjoying a little walk and a little drink now and then. I maybe expecting too much too soon. It's 48 hours since the GA today.

Amanda

6. kipling2536

Addendum: Bertie ate some breakfast today and I was able to put his painkiller in it - so feeling more relieved now.

Thank you all so much for your help.

Amanda;)

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Glad her seems a lot better and happier this morning.

8. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

so glad he is eating a little and more himself each dog is different and take different times to recoupe he will soon be his old waggy tail self

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice