Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Post op advice.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by one, Jul 17, 2009.

1. one

one PetForums Newbie

Hi, our three kitties went to the vets on Wednesday to be spayed/neutered, we have 2 girls and 1 boy, mum is about 2 years old and the kids are a few days shy of 5 months old. They all seem to be ok but have a quick question about the male - he is very friendly and loud at the best of times but as the girls are both struggling with their head cones on and are obviously still sore/healing from the op we are having to either supervise or keep him away from them at the min. Is this the right thing to do?

I do feel a bit mean keeping him away from them especially as he meow's even more than he normally does but when he is with them he can't really keep to himself. He tries biting the cone or pulling at the ribbon that's holding it on, he tries standing on them so he can pad them, trying to sniff/lick the wound and just generally being his usual self, but as the girls are generally less mobile they can't defend themselves as easily as normal. lol.

Just wondered if anyone had any advise or suggestions that might help. :)

2. Tinks magic

Tinks magic PetForums Member

Tink was recently done and had a midline spay.

I struggled with keeping her calm and let her carry on as normal. After 24 hours she was jumping about and she was fine. I bathed the area in salt water twice a day and just kept an eye of things.

Was less stressfull for her liek that than keeping her confined in a room away from us.

Lou

3. one

one PetForums Newbie

The girls seem a bit brighter now and the wounds look like they are healing nicely, and while the boy is as bouncy as ever the other two are a bit better able to defend themselves now. lol. They all have a post op check at the vets later so I dare say if there is any probs they will be picked up then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice