UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy mac has had to have his left eye removed today due to glaucoma , we picked him up at 6pm tonight and hes lay on a folded duvet now , his foot felt cold so ive put a light cover on him . Hes still sleepy due to his Anesthetic , and hes making slight whimper noises every so often : ( . ive got some painkiler off the vet but hes not due till 11pm , the vet gave him painkillers at 5pm.... i feel useless to him at the moment and so upset

any advice off anyone whos pet has had an eye removed ?
x

·
Registered
14,447 Posts
Of course you're upset. It's awful to see our dogs suffer. The whimpering is probably due to the anesthetic; they sometimes tremble as well.

Sounds as if you're in for a long night but hopefully he will be a bit better tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Sounds as though it's been difficult for him but probably mostly down to the operation and anesthetic. Not had our dogs in for any major ops other than Benny but thought you may find http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/223712-eyeless-benny.html encouraging where our Benny had both eyeballs removed. The worst part we found was when he was having the stitches out. We did have to muzzle him for that, the only time we have had to when at the vet. However recovery was really quick after the initial anesthetic wore of and didn't seem in a lot of pain from what I remember. Short term I can't really give much advice unfortunately other than to say you will probably be surprised at how quickly Mac is likely to bounce back.

·
Registered
14,447 Posts
In all probability he's disorientated by the anesthetic which is also why he hasn't had a drink. I'm sure things will be much better once the anesthetic has worn off.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
After anaesthsia dogs can have trouble controlling their body temperatures.
So that is probably why he feels cold, although you need to keep him warm you also need to make sure he isnt getting too hot either.

Some it can also effect their general behaviour too, plus some can still be really sleepy the first night. Just keep a careful watch on him tonight just in case, but like some humans who it effects ore then others dogs can be the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all , he had a restless night , my husband slept downstairs with him . Hes had all his tablets ( antibiotics etc ) but wont have a drink of water , i made him a weak tea and he had a couple of laps and some off my fingers , hes still whimpering the odd time and we take it it turns sat on the floor stroking and talking to him

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
Glad to hear he is a little brighter. It can be a worrying time when they have been through an operation.

My dog recently had an op for a second ruptured cruciate so I was better prepared for how he would be this time. He had a couple of days of feeling quite low as he was obviously in pain but he seemed to suddenly perk up (a bit too much :rolleyes:) so hopefully your boy will be the same.

If you have any worries then give your vet a ring but from what you have described sounds 'normal'

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Macs so much better today ! wet nose , had a good drink and been out for a walk with his tail wagging once again , i feel a lot happier now , off to the vets at 4 for a checkup and thanks so much for all your support ♥

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.