Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Possibly the millionanth and one question about best food for my new kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by dom85, Apr 5, 2011.

1. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

Hello, I'm new here and new to having my very own kitty, I just got a gorgeous Silver Somali kitten and was after a bit of advice about changing diet.

He's been being fed Whiskers kitten wet food pouches and Iams kitten dry food which I thought was ok (and pretty conveniant as I can get discount on it at work) but after joining here I have realised that it's probably best for him to change to something higher quality.

I think I've decided on trying Grau with him as wet food but how much do I introduce over a particular period of time? And are the feeding recommendations roughly correct for Grau or do I just let him have as much as he wants while he's still so young?

I'm just looking at zooplus and trying to decide whether to order the variety 6 pack of 'adult' food or the 'kitten' one, any advice? I was wondering whether it may be better to get one flavour at a time in case it gives him an upset tummy?

Arghh, I really didn't want to come across as the clueless newbie, I promise I have done lots of research about the breed and put a lot of thought into the right timing for my family and having the house prepared etc, I think I just naively thought that if I changed to an expensive brand that's on the pet store shelf that it would be fine.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Actually, I think this is probably closer to the 1,000,009th question on this matter :D

Welcome to the pf and congrats on your new kitty! I think I would be inclined to buy the variety pack as well as one tray of one flavour. Really depends on how sensitive he is to food changes.

Being so young he is hopefully ok to move him from a chunks in jelly/gravy over to a pate but you could start mashing his whiskas up after a while to make it more patey in texture. Once he is happily eating pate - well the world of good food is your oyster then....

Re the food introduction - do it gradually. Start with 1/4 new food first. If he is ok with that then increase to 1/2 etc.

Best of luck!

3. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

Thank you, that's very helpful.

Does he actually need dry food if he is on a better wet food?

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

No, he doesn't need dry food. People often feed kittens dry food because you can just leave it out for a period of time, which is very convenient for a little mite like a kitten who should ideally have frequent meals throughout the day.

If you can provide a lunchtime feed for your little kitten then no, you definitely don't need a dry food. If you cannot, then there is also the option of an electric feeder until he is big enough to cope with a few fewer meals.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice