Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Possible tumor?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by marie louise, Jan 22, 2021.

1. marie louise

marie louise PetForums Member

My almost 12 year old dog became ill after being on carprofen for arthritis (only used for 4 days) The first night she started with vomiting (once a day), stopped eating her food, liquid diarrhea and from then has lost almost 3kg............1st vet visit after, she was given vetpro probiotic paste, which didn't work..........Next vet visit, she was given omeprazole and pardale v tablets (for pain and nausea) her stomach is tense and she also had blood taken to test her liver and kidney's.............Results-Kidney function fine...Liver enzyme was at 17 (should be at 14) vet isn't concerned with this...Protein level is low, could be losing it through the diarrhea and gut inflamed. Possibly gut disease. Vet recommended ultrasound to look for tumor/intestinal cancer. Will be speaking to her again on Monday and arranging something but just wanted to know what other people think could be the cause etc One of my cats had to be pts in June of this year due to tumor in his intestines and he did have the liquid diarrhea and lost 3kg but he was CONSTANTLY hungry (also had other problems) so does sound like it could be but her symptoms started on the first day of using carprofen so surely it's related to that? Also when she had her blood test, it was 2-3 weeks after she had stopped eating much and became ill so could that be what's caused the liver and protein level change? Could it be colitis from bacteria from using the medication? Would a stool sample be better?

#1 marie louise, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  2. marie louise

Forgot to mention that the vomiting stopped as soon as I stopped giving her the medication (carprofen)

3. marie louise

Does it sound like colitis. Thinking of asking the vet if I could try her with anti inflammatory medication first?

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I don't think any of us can possibly hazard a guess at what is going on with your dog, which is why you haven't had any replies. You really needed to be guided by your vet - they are the professionals. Don't be afraid to get a second opinion if you want a different point of view.

5. marie louise

I've asked incase someone else has had this problem with their dog. They would know what treatment worked for them. Not asking instead of getting vet advice. She has the vet on Monday but until then, was hoping for some insight as to what could be going on etc

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Certainly ask the vet if it’s feasible to try treating for colitis (a side effect of the carprofen) for a few days before doing any tests which might stress her out, etc.

Ask if more pain/ anti inflammatory medication too might help her want to eat again if she’s associating that with tum pain.

7. marie louise

Will be calling vet on Monday to ask about this. She's not even been given anti inflammatory meds so far which I don't understand (unless pardale v or omeprazole are for that too) Money is kind of tight right now so would also prefer to try things that are likely to work rather than alot of money on an ultrasound (which could show nothing) then not have the money for other tests medication

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Pardale-V Oral Tablets for Dogs is indicated for acute pain of traumatic origin as a complementary treatment in pain associated with other conditions and post operative analgesia.
    Unquote

Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor used to reduce stomach acid

Common side effects include nausea, vomiting, headaches, abdominal pain, and increased intestinal gas.[1][9]

Worth chatting to vet and trying different meds if these aren’t agreeing with her

9. marie louise

Thanks. It's not these meds she is having problems with. Don't see any improvement but not making her unwell, it was the carpofren she's still unwell from.

10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I know - you weren’t sure what those meds were for that she had been given so I googled them for you...

“She's not even been given anti inflammatory meds so far which I don't understand (unless pardale v or omeprazole are for that too)”

Best just speak to the vet

11. marie louise

She goes in on Friday for an ultrasound. Phoned them and asked if her blood sample they got from her a week ago could be used to test for pancreatitis (which it really sounds like and the meds she was on can cause this) but the blood can't be used so needs another blood sample taken. I would preferably like this to be done before the scan on Friday. How long do you have to wait to hear the results? Didn't get a call back from the vet tonight to answer my questions.

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It depends what in-house facilities the vet has.
    When my dog had the test for pancreatitis - looking for tripsin-like whatever, it had to go to an outside lab and it took about 4 or 5 days (non-covid times) to get the result, which was positive.

marie louise likes this.
  13. marie louise

He was your door g doing?

14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

She did OK with managing the chronic form of pancreatitis by diet and adding pancreatic enzymes to her food, for a couple of years. But by then she was 15, arthritic, losing her sight, hearing and mental faculties, the digestive issues were getting increasingly difficult as she was refusing food most days, so when she had a severe vestibular episode with no sign of recovering from it, euthanasia was the best option for her. That was 3 years ago now.

15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

No. Colitis doesn't cause vomiting.

16. marie louise

aw sorry to hear that, horrible seeing them get old and losing them :( She only vomited while on the medication, as soon as I stopped the meds, no more sickness. Got her results today and she has tested positive for pancreatitis. Going in on Monday when the vet is back to discuss food/medication etc

17. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The food Ziggy had was Wainwrights light turkey at around 8% fat. With her I had to use the grain-free option as she was totally grain intolerant too, and got colitis at the drop of a hat.. Vet UK do their own brand pancreatic enzymes which are about half the price of the ones I had from the vet, if using those is what your vet recommends. They can help take the load off the pancreas whilst it's recovering.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice