Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Possible stray having kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by chameleon_plym, Aug 4, 2009.

1. chameleon_plym

chameleon_plym PetForums Newbie

I have a potential stray, which I have been feeding and set up some shelter for him in my greenhouse. He has since acquired a friend, but didn't realise that this one was pregnant and had kittens in the corner of my greenhouse today. I am really stuck on what to do. I stretched in to put down a plate of food and she dived towards me threatening and making scarey fighting talk. I called the cats protection league, but they aren't there at the moment and will be calling me back in the morning. Should I be doing anything to help her? I don't even know if this one has a home?

2. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

hi
    untill you can get her some help just make sure she has food and more importantly water for her milk
    the reason she dived on you is her protective mode has kicked in she does not understand you are helping her the best thing you can do is put some flyers around in case someone has lost her let the local vets know and if you get no responce then tell the cpl they will take her and her kittens and home them all with a foster carer hope this helps

viv xx

3. chameleon_plym

Thanks for that, much appreciated - I'll risk getting water to her. It's a bit late for doing posters today, but will certainly put the word out tomorrow.
    Am feeling a bit helpless as I don't really know much about cats.

4. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

don't worry you are doing fine mum will be hungry but it is most important that she gets water. was she friendly before she had her kittens? i really think she is being very protective over her babies

viv xx

5. KarenHSmith

KarenHSmith PetForums VIP

That's a shame.Perhaps you should try and contact your local feline rescue

6. chameleon_plym

Have just been chased down the garden. I've put the water down on the lawn whilst running! She knows where it is. She is continually growling, but half way down the path she decided she wanted a lot of affection. I had a job getting her back to her babies again, but still growling all of the time..

I'll wait and see what the cats protection league say tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Awww, she has pregnancy hormones running through her, wants to protect the babies but wants food and affection too. I bet she's really scared, poor thing. Just keep leaving food and water where she can get at it and hope the rescue centre arrive soon.

8. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Poor little thing. What she needs is food and water, get these as near as you can without risking your skin! If we have a heat wave they are going to be in trouble in a greenhouse but that is not looking too likely at the moment!

You will find that once they are a little older she will start to leave them from time to time. What you don't want is a situation where she moves them and you don't know where they are, equally you don't want to remove the kittens and then find you can't catch Mum otherwise you will be hand rearing the kittens, which isn't a lot of fun when they are tiny.

If she's wanting affection then she is not feral and you will find this hostility to you will pass!

One last thing, whatever you do please do not call the RSPCA. They only have one policy in these cases and that is immediate destruction of the kittens (unless the cameras are rolling of course).

Liz

9. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

That was a bit harsh Liz.

In terms of the RSPCA I think it depends on your area.
    I volunteer with my local RSPCA as the cat re-homing officer and I know full well that we NEVER put cats / kittens to sleep unless it is absolutely needed.

We have brought feral kittens in for taming, FIV positive cats, very elderly cats and kittens that needed hand rearing.

All were treated and cared for until a loving home was found for them.

We spend a LOT of money of cats in car accidents every year doing all we can to bring them back to full health and re-home them.

I have been with the RSPCA for 3 years onw and in this time we have only ever put 1 cat to sleep and that was due to tumours in her bowels that could not be treated.

Please don't tar us all with the same brush, it's the same with breeders some are fantastic and some are awfull.

Rspca centers are all individually managed so it really does depend on where abouts you are.

10. Where abouts are you hun?

Ive fostered man an expectant and new mum, so this is what i would do in your situation.

Pop a couple of old small blankets just inside the greenhouse - if she wants them she will bring them to the kittens - will help keep them warm

Put out plent of food and water for mum and kittens, she needs the energy and fluid for her milk.

Get on the phone to your local rescues and ask them to send someone out to come get her. If she is friendly (to a point) she shouldnt be too hard to catch, and then they can scoop up the kittens too. Fingers crossed she should be in a foster home soon.

well done for looking after her.

11. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I know some branches are great - our local one is. But if she calls out the RSPCA for stray kittens and they actually come out, it is an inspector who will come. The cat and kittens won't ever get as far as the rehoming centre! It happened to some people near me a few years ago - despite the great local branch. The inspector destroyed all the kittens and then the mother cat, right in front of the people who called him out. Then there was the televised series a few years ago which followed a trainee RSPCA inspector, soemwhere rond Manchester. They removed a number of puppies from a bitch (they did have the decency to leave her with two since she was actually owned by someone). The trainee was given the task of destroying all the puppies they had taken. Then there was a story recently of an inspector who destroyed a cat right in the street where it lived just because it was old - that cat was owned, loved and microchipped!

In short, I wouldn't trust an RSPCA inspector further than I could throw him. And until this changes, nothing connected with the RSPCA will ever get a penny from me. There are just too many horror stories I have heard - not to mention the time they seized one of my cats just because he was limping, and only returned him after me threatening to make complaints much higher up the organisation.

You are most welcome to pass this on - perhaps it's time the RSPCA realised what a reputation they have amongst cat breeders in general (and no doubt dog breeders as well), that way they just might start to address the issues. As far as I am concerned, they have millions of pounds a year coming in under false pretences - people give without realising just what they are giving to.

Liz

12. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Hi
    did you get in touch with the C P L how are mum and babies doing?

i really hope you get it all sorted out

viv xx :)

13. chameleon_plym

Turns out it is only the one kitten. The mother is very friendly with me now and literally wraps herself around my legs - although I haven't tried going in the greenhouse. I do have to stand with her when I take the food bowl up, as she doesn't seem to touch it else and will follow me down the garden. It doesn't look as if she's drinking the water either, but just sniffs the bowl. She's not staying in the greenhouse with baby constantly, but she does call to it and growls at anything that moves. I haven't had much success in getting through to rescue centres as yet, as I can't do all the calling around I need during work hours. I've left emails though, but I did get one response back saying to call them - which I did and it was out of work hours and they'd all gone home :(

I do worry about the heat of the greenhouse, but it doesn't look as if it will get too hot today.

I'm in the Devon area, so hopefully the RSPCA look favourably on kittens down here?! You have me worried now.

14. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Please don't hand them over to the RSPCA, it is the worst possible time of the year to try to rehome cats anyway and the RSPCA are very likely to take the easy way out. And don't imagine they will tell you first!

Are you not able to keep the cat and kitten yourself at least until the kitten is eight weeks old?

Liz

15. if anyone can drive i'll take her in - although i swore to give up fostering (suffering serious kitten withdrawal)

Its a bit of a drive though i am in wiltshire!

16. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

17. chameleon_plym

Have heard back from a rescue centre today and they said they would call me at home outside of work hours, although I'm still waiting! Am now praying for a bad day weather wise again tomorrow.

Both mother and kitten look well, although I did see a 'string' of blood on the mother at the lower outside part of her tail. I don't know where it's come from.

You can breath a relief to hear that the RSPCA said they can't help as they only deal with sick and injured, but that I was welcome to call again if they did become so. Fingers crossed it won't end out that way. I would take up the idea of the fostering, but as you say Wiltshire is a long way.

Both cats look adorable though, the mother is like a gold, beige and kinda a pinky coloured tabby, but her stripes turn to spots half way along and isn't much more than kitten size herself! She also has bright green/yellow eyes. You can see the tabby stripes on baby too, although I still haven't gotten too close.

I would of course like to go in and water my tomatoes!

18. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Liz

I completely agree with what you say regarding the inspectors!

The problem is that inspectors are paid members of staff and treat the animals like nothing more than an inconvienence in their job.

I always advise people to NOT CALL the national RSPCA and instead find your local RSPCA branch and call them yourselves.

As we are an independant branch we do not take any animals, advice or instruction from the national RSPCA.

It also means we do not recieve any funding from them but we would rather that then get involved with some of the problems.

The volunteers in these small branches are working as hard as they can to help animals and if the OP were to contact her local branch independantly I am sure that someone could help.

19. chameleon_plym

I'm starting to get to the end of my tether with the situation I am in.

The rescue centre didn't call. I tried the Cats Protection League and they aren't taking any calls relating to lost, found or stray cats, so I emailed them on the offchance and they never replied.

Finding the blood on the mother this evening has bothered me no end.

I would love to be in the situation where I could take them in myself, but I'm very allergic to cats and dogs (very cruel for me!) and I have 2 parrots, plus I work full time.

I really need one of them to at least help me, but I just don't know what to do next.

20. Riverwish

Riverwish PetForums Member

hi,

Have you had any luck yet?

If not try these, maybe one will be able to help. I've no idea if any of these are close to you but must be worth a look :)

ANIMALS IN DISTRESS RESCUE CENTRE - 102 REDDENHILL ROAD, TORQUAY, DEVON, TQ1 3NT Contact 01803 812121

ARC Animal Rescue Centre
    Email moore.61@btinternet.com
    Phone 01404 815487
    Address Crofters Court
    Wiggaton
    Ottery St Mary
    EX11 1PY
    Homes Animals to We rehome: around the East Devon and Dorset areas but will consider adoptions and rescue from outside this area.

Gables Farm Dogs & Cats Home
    Email info@gablesfarm.org.uk
    Phone 01752 331602
    Website Home Page - Gables Farm Dogs' & Cats' Home
    Address 204 Merafield Road
    Plymouth
    PL7 1UQ
    Homes Animals to We rehome: Devon & Cornwall

Wingletang Sanctuary: Wingletang, Brentor Road, Heathfield, Tavistock, Devon, PL19 0LF, England.
    Tel: 01822 810215 (open daily 2pm - 4pm)
    Email: mgft.wingletang@btopenworld.com
    Web site: margaretgreenanimalrescue.org.uk

Woodside animal welfare trust
    Rehoming Centre: Heathdown Cottage, Elfordsleigh, Plympton, Plymouth, Devon.
    Opening hours: 1pm - 4pm six days a week, closed Wednesdays.
    Tel: 01752 347503

Or have a look on here as there seem to be many more Cat Rescue Centres and Cats Seeking Homes in Devon

Hope this helps a bit :)

River x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice