Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

possible pulmonary stenosis

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by *Charlotte*, Aug 10, 2009.

1. *Charlotte*

*Charlotte* PetForums Newbie

I have a 6 month male Burmese kitten with a stonking systolic heart murmur. My vet did a 'scan' today pre-neutering and noted right ventricular enlargement. Cyrus is well with no obvious signs of heart failure. The vet thinks that he could have pulmonary (valve) stenosis or patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) though the latter is less likely as the murmur does not sound like this. The consensus is that we 'wait and see' whether he develops signs of heart failure.

I am aware that PDA is operable though doing some internet research on pulmonary stenosis I cannot seem to ascertain whether this is something that is commonly 'treatable' in cats (i am medically qualified (human(!))

Does anyone have any relevant experience? Cyrus is not covered for this by his pet insurance as it was discovered very early on. The vet offered referral but if the discussion involved possibly risky surgery not ignoring several thousand pound (I would guess) expense, would this be the right way to proceed?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice