Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Possible pregnant guppy - advice please!

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Ruth Robinson, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Ruth Robinson

Ruth Robinson PetForums Newbie

Hi, my daughter bought 10 guppies from Pets at Home last Sunday for her 100l tank that also has 13 neon tetras in. That was her tank full as far as she was concerned. They were all supposed to be male. Since she bought them, she's been reading up on them, and yesterday announced she thought one of them may be a pregnant female. So I'd love some advice. Do you think she's right? (Best picture I could get attached) And if she is, what do we do? She doesn't want to return the fish. She doesn't want the babies to be eaten. I've been madly googling, and there's so much conflicting advice out there about breeding boxes, whole separate tanks, and just leaving mum and babies in the main tank - I'm just left totally confused as to what to do for the best! Any advice would be massively appreciated - thanks, from a potential fishy grandma!

Attached Files:

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome. Yes that's a female. Females have a triangular ventral fun and males have a gonopodium (the ventral fin is rolled up into a tube like spike. The ventral fin is the one closest to the anus.

All live bearer females will be pregnant. They can store sperm for several months. There is no need to use fry traps or anything else in your tank. The traps are not great as they stress the mother and babies and most live bearer fry produce big babies and if they have places to hide you will soon have more babies growing up to be adults than you will know what to do with. Whilst the parents and the tetras may eat a few in my experience lots survive regardless. Whilst it's nice to keep the babies and you have a reasonable size tank bear in mind females can produce young every few months and sometimes lots at a time. The females can also store sperm after being mated so even when separated will continue to give birth.

I bought 3 platies. All females. All three continued to give birth over 6 months just on stored sperm and even though I separated the young by sex as soon as I could so they didn't breed the parents produced over 90 fry which grew to adulthood and I was not doing anything to protect them from predation. Guppies are similar.

Also bare in mind that it's hard to rehome the babies. Guppies breed like rabbits and few people want to buy more. Shops don't want them.

I luckily managed to rehome all mine eventually but for a while I had multiple tanks just to house all the young.

So by all means keep the female and try and preserve the young but just be aware you will be awash with guppies very soon.

#2 kittih, Sep 14, 2018 at 6:55 PM
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 12:32 AM
    Picklelily and NaomiM like this.
  3. Ruth Robinson

Ruth Robinson PetForums Newbie

Oh wow! I suspected as much - thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice