Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Possible kennelclub scam

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jayson Barton, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Jayson Barton

Jayson Barton PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

We have recently viewed a puppy and paid a deposit of £150 for the puppy, we were told the puppy was £500 and would be kennel club registered. Once we got home from the viewing we got asked for £67 for kennel club fees such as 5 generation papers, change of ownership and postage. Then we got a message requesting £49.99 this was to set up an owners account but this would be deducted from the costs as they were unaware of it (we were unaware of all of these costs). Then they said kennel club are charging £40 for the name we requested with a £39.99 processing fee! We rang kennel club and were told that all these fess barring £47 fee for change of ownership were rubbish. We know where the breeder lives (it was definitely a family home with the mum and dad dogs) and we have proof of payment, what should we do now as I'm no longer willing to pay any extra money beyond £500. We confronted the breeder who said we must have spoken the wrong department of kennel club which is ridiculous the won't reply. We still want this puppy, we fell in love but fell conned. What can we do?

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

This Breeder is is trying to con you.

She will register the whole litter with the Kennel Club and pay the usual fee.

She will request chosen names for the litter and there is no charge for that. The fee to set up an Owner Account is nonsense.

When you get your pup, the breeder should give you it's registration form. On the reverse of that is the form for you to request change of ownership, at which point you pay the fee.

Personally, I would be very annoyed by what this Breeder has tried to do.

I wouldn't buy a pup from her.

cava14 una, margy, niamh123 and 2 others like this.
  3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Everything @Rafa said.

Walk away from this and find another puppy, there are lots out there to fall in love with.

I don’t know what your chances are of getting back your deposit; obviously you left a deposit on a puppy and expected the price quoted to you at the time would be the final price for a KC registered puppy, not a price that would go up for said registration.
    There is so much dishonesty going on here.

I would also make an official complaint to the Kennel Club.

Out of curiosity, what breed?

4. Jayson Barton

@Linda Weasel its a Staffordshire Bullterrier, thanks everyone.

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

There are usually several litters for sale at once on the Champdogs website.

It was on there we found our Staffy pup.

6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I would definitely report them - presuming that the litter is actually KC registered in the first place, which it may not be if they are scammers.

It costs about £15 per puppy for the breeder to register a litter with the KC. They do not charge extra for a name.

I wouldn't want to buy a puppy from such a breeder because I wouldn't trust them.

J

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It might also be that they register the pup on the activities register, not the breed register. That's a quite common scam. Report them, buy a pup elsewhere.

cava14 una, lullabydream and Rafa like this.
  8. Jayson Barton

Who do we report them to? The Kennel Club?

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Yes.

Jayson Barton likes this.
  10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

You could also report them to trading standards who should help get your deposit back. They will also be able to check if they are licensed breeders.

11. Ali B

Ali B PetForums Newbie

Hi, this sounds very similar to what happened to us. We met the puppies, the mom and dad dogs, in the family home, there were about 4 children there. Then the seller later contacted us for £67 for kennel club fees. When we went to pick up the puppies she fobbed us off, we returned the following day and she had moved out! Do not part with any money, it is a con. From enquiries I have made she sells the puppies over and over and keeps the deposits without supplying the puppies. I have reported her to the police and Action Fraud but they have done nothing about her.

12. Jayson Barton

Hi, was this in Birmingham by any chance? It sounds very similar.

13. Ali B

Ali B PetForums Newbie

Hi, yes this was in Birmingham (Rubery/Rednal). According to a neighbour it's not the first time she's done this. If you can get the authorities to investigate, we still have the texts she sent us and will happily hand them over.

14. Rebekah0497

Rebekah0497 PetForums Newbie

Hi, this is Jayson’s girlfriend - so we’re pretty sure that’s the same person who conned us. We did contact all authorities and we were dismissed as they said there was nothing they could do. We have proof of messages, a receipt all sorts. We were told to begin court proceedings however now they have moved we have no contact address for them. Seems very dodgy they have moved too. We found her on Facebook and she goes by a fake name on there. Not really sure whether having two people simultaneously reporting it would make a difference or not? Shame they aren’t interested.

niamh123 and Ali B like this.
  15. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Contact trading standards. They may not be able to do anything specifically for your cases bit it will help to build up a file of evidence against them.

Ali B likes this.
  16. Ali B

Ali B PetForums Newbie

Trading Standards sounds the only option left. A friend of mine came across her on Facebook with the fake name, and several other people had posted that she'd done the same to them and that she's a con artist. She'd also advertised again on another site, which I got the site to take down. I'll report back if I get any joy!

17. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hope it helps. Even if they cant do anything immediately, the more information they get the better. You could also report them to HMRC if you think there may be dodgy money dealings too.

My local trading standards have been very helpful in the past. They weren't able to fully solve the issue I had but an official call from trading standards about the money scam a family member was subjected too certainly put out the scammers a bit.

If you havent already then record this on action fraud and get any others who have concerns to do so separately. They will do more the more reports they get.

18. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

We once had an issue, not pet related, that we reported to Trading Standards. We never expected any recompense, but did it anyway, because we were outraged.

It seems we weren’t the only ones to complain and two years down the line a cheque dropped through the door. Trading Standards took them to court and won, so it’s worth doing, because you never know what the outcome might be, even years down the line.

19. Rebekah0497

Rebekah0497 PetForums Newbie

Thank you everyone - we have reported them on action fraud. Just wish we knew more people who were affected by her so several people could report her. Makes me so angry that people do those kind of things. We are going to try with trading standards now. We also reported and got another ad removed - our friend looked into the ad and she was trying to sell the puppy we reserved to her... we were not happy. Wonder what has happened to the puppies now

20. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

Wrong thread

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice