Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Possible hypermobile ankles????

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Doguiesrus, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Doguiesrus

Doguiesrus PetForums Senior

This is a random question I have posted in here as I spend most my time here. I was at ringcraft tonight when a round girl I haven't seen before came in with a 10 month old dogue puppy. Obviously I made a dash to greet is at is rare I see dogues out and about. Anyway she came sat with us and said it was first time and she wanted to show the dog. As she stood him I could see she was struggling so offered to help her. As I tried to stand the dog his paws where really flexible and as I put his foot down you cools see his pads at the front, (like a kid standing on their heels!) I tried several times to get his foot flat but even when he rang his toes turned right up. I hope I've explains this clear enough. I am baffled as to what was up with it. The girl was oblivious to any problem until I pointed it out, I've arrange to speak to my mentor tomorrow. I know it's nothing to do with me but I am baffled and the poor girl hasn't a chance of doing anything with them feet. Such a shame. Any ideas? Xx

2. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

No idea in Dogues but it happens in horses and they're usually pts. I would imagine a dog would manage better than a horse. Such a shame.

3. Fluffaluff

Fluffaluff PetForums Member

Awweh the poor dog and owner! Sorry I have nothing to offer but I hope you can find something / help, the dog and owner out with info from your mentor :(

Let us know how you get on.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

There is something called carpal hyper extension it can happen for different reasons and different ages but there is a version that occurs in puppies, its caused by a problem with the delvelopement of the ligaments that support the wrist joint.

Theres more about it on the link.

Carpal Hyperextension

5. Doguiesrus

Doguiesrus PetForums Senior

Thanks everyone. I know I felt so sad and cos I have so much to do with the breed I felt I had to try help. He was her first dogue so she didnt know where to turn. I'm going to have a good read up on that its not something I've ever come across. I did suggest to her to get in touch with breeder in case they had ever experienced it. Sorry for the bad spelling and wrong words in original post I was tired and predictive txt takes advantage of me! Il let you know anything else. Thanks again xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice