Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Possible help for a Collapsed Trachea

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Julieb1, May 25, 2019.

1. Julieb1

Julieb1 PetForums Newbie

Hi all

Tess will be 18 in a couple of days and has shown symptoms of a collapsed trachea since she was about 15 and a few months ago her cough was almost constant. She was prescribed codeine which helped but still had some days and nights when the cough was constant.

I was buying expensive food for senior dogs but it seemed quite sticky and thought that I would try making my own. That was about 3 months ago and the improvements were almost instant and now she barely coughs.

My recipe consists of chicken breasts, squash, carrots, broccoli, peas and brown basmati rice which are slow cooked.

Just sharing as if you are struggling for a solution as I was, it is worth trying.

Attached Files:

2. Julieb1

Julieb1 PetForums Newbie

Just to add, she has not had any codeine since the change in diet. She was also having problems with constipation and diarrhoea which was probably a side effect of the meds but her stools have been normal since the change in diet. A make a large batch and freeze in daily portion sizes. This is a pot that I have just put on.

Attached Files:

3. Kirstyanneanne

Kirstyanneanne PetForums Junior

Hello Julieb1. I have just Seen this post and will be trying out Your recipe. My Westie has a collapsed Trachea . I have been on this forum for a while under the heading "Trachea Collapse". (Rather predictable I know !!!). Bruce is still doing well on the herbal supplement but I will be following You to See if You have any more advice. Bruce is 13 Now and I was, like You, struggling for a solution. I will be trying Your recipe Today.

4. Kirstyanneanne

The posts and replies are under Dog Health and Nutrition.

5. Julieb1

Julieb1 PetForums Newbie

I really hope that this helps Bruce, I freeze portions and find the consistency is better once frozen and defrosted. I believe the consistency is the key, I have added a pic of food one defrosted and I will give about 20% less than commercial food as I feel it is more nutritious and to keep Tess at a good weight. Good luck x

Attached Files:

6. Kirstyanneanne

Hello again Julie. Thank You for Your quick reply. I have all the ingredients bar the squash so I have put them in a slow cooker and will transfer them into the freezer Tonight.Therefore it will be Tomorrow when We try Your recipe out. I am sure that Brucie will love it as He adores Chicken!!!!!. I will keep You posted!!!. Brucie did become overweight When We stopped going for really long Walks but things have improved Now and it has been possible to tighten His harness so that it fits as it did before. Thank You from Kirsty.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice