UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Possible food allergy and diarrhea problems

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  chillminx 
#1 ·
Hello, I am a new member and a new mommy of two beautiful british shorthair kittens, male and a female. We took them a month ago but since then we have had problems. A couple of days after taking them I noticed that the female kitten(6 months old) had some red small scabs on her skin( before the beginning of the tail, a little bit on the back and neck) and she was itchy around the ear. I was concerned because I didn't really change their diet. She was fed by the breeder with boiled chicken and Royal Canine Queen selection dry food. For this one week I was giving them a couple of times boiled chicken but the male kitten's stomach was upset from it( soft stools) so I decided to give them good quality wet food for a combination diet. They had dry food available at all times and wet foot at dinner ( mainly Cosma and Animonda). Maybe it was my mistake with Cosma because i ordered mixed cans so I can see what they prefer, for example Tuna and Crab, Chicken and Tuna, Chicken fillet with liver(maybe that confused them a little?) but I doubt that for a week it can cause allergy. Anyways at first the vet decided it was flea allergy and we did treat them with Broadline just in case. She was treated with some kind of injections to stop the itching for a week( the injections weren't something serious like cortico steroids but maybe anti allergic, I am not sure). We finished the course of injections and she cleared up, two days later without injections she flared up again with scabs( no vomiting, no diarrhea, no bold patches) just little small red scabs and itchiness. I could even pull off the scabs and she was purring, no wound under the scab, nothing. We started the injections again but for a longer time and the vet said it is not a flea allergy, it is definitely a food allergy, I was confused a little but agreed. Stopped all canned food and the royal canine and started giving them Purina Pro Plan Hypoallergenic dry food and Animonda Integrity wet food for both of them recommended by the vet. It has been two weeks and a half, last injection was this Monday. I also washed her with a special vet shampoo for dermatitis a week ago. She is fine now, no scabs at all, skin is soft and nice, she is still itchy once a day, but nothing to do with what it was before. Now to the problem, the male one has diarrhea from the Purina Hypoallergenic food, soft pudding like stools, very smelly and yellow color.The vet gave us Dia-Tab Diarrhoea Tablets for him, I gave the cat two tablets in the space of four days, it helped a little bit but not much....We thought he couldn't get used to the new food although I was changing the dry food slowly, the process took a week in a half and once there was no trace of the old food, the soft stools happened. I am definitely sure that this food is no good for his stomach. It has been two weeks now on this food and we clean his bottom every morning after he poops pudding like stools. Three days ago his breeder recommended giving him Stomorgyl 2, I gave him three tablets but this morning the result was the same. So I don't know what to do anymore.... I have two baby cats that right now are growing and need the best food and vitamins to grow healthy and big..... One is suspected of food allergy( although I am doubting that very much, it looked like flea allergy) and now the other one suffers from diarrhea because of this stupid hypoallergenic food.... Now I know that food which contains grain is no good for them... but I didn't want to change their food right at the beginning of coming in a new house, didn't want to cause stress. I am against RC and Purina....trying to compensate with good quality wet food. I am very concerned and my hands are tied.....please give me an advice, I don't want to destroy my healthy kittens because of vets and breeders who give horrible advice and might be wrong. Does my kitten have food allergy for real? Do we really need to give them this food, which lacks nutrition and actual meat protein, literally it only contains soy and rice..... Thank you very much.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.