Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poss get a mouse!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by LostGirl, Apr 26, 2011.

1. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

CaN he live on his own ok? As it's only the one they have so I'm going to poss take him

I know we had male mice as teens that we had to separate (one fell in love with the hamster so lived with him lol odd I know!) as they just kept fighting

There is loads of contradicting articles on google some saying no they can never live in pairs etc and others saying they must!

2. purple_x

purple_x PetForums VIP

I think some unneutered male mice can live together ok but mostly they wont and will end up fighting.

You could either take this little guy and have him on his own, there is nothing wrong with that, just give him lots of toys and attention.
    Or you could look into getting him neutered and putting him in with a couple of girlies....he'd love that!

3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

So would I love I love mice!

Will see how he goes if I get him as havnt heard back :( just as I'm winning oh around to small furries aswell lol x

4. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

Males can live together but it is very hard to do and is completely dependent (sp.) on the mouse's nature. He will be fine on his own, but you will need to spend oodles of time with him, although if you can get a neutered male from elsewhere these (in most cases) can live with entire males very happily or you can get him neutered if you can find a vet confident in doing so (unfortunately not too many of them around :(.) If you don't get this boy then have a look in rescue, there are a number of mice in rescue just now (not sure where you are but there are some rescues who have mice in the small animal rescue and adoption section :) )

5. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I think I will have a look I'm getting rats and am
    On a list for young rescues as oh is scared of rats they need to be babies for him to get use to them but mice he wouldn't be fussed about Coz they are so little! X

6. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

Mice are as social as rats. Males can be kept together, but they need a large cage (such as a Freddy 2) so they have their own space if they need to get away from each other. As others have said, you could have him neutered and get him some girls to play with.

7. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Would a zoozone be okay for two mice?

8. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Just to add I had a group of 3...I added a male to the group...but within 2 weeks he was out. Then the biggest was bullying the smallest and had to be separated...but the other two lived their lives out together. But yeah as Snippet said the best chance would be to get a big cage for them :D

9. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

IMHO, no as they love to climb and a zoo zone doesn't give them that opportunity because it's a tank style cage, and it's not very tall. If you want a decent mouse cage then look for a second hand Savic Freddy 2. They've got a suitable bar spacing (10mm) and they're dead cheap second hand. I've seen them go for £5 and less on ebay.

Also, mice have sensitive chests like rats do so they can't be kept on shavings because of the phenols (irritant natural chemicals) and dust. Shredded paper and card are good for mice, and can be bought in bulk at farm supplt shops.

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

They havnt got back to me :(

Wish they would I really want him
    Now

11. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

He will be here at tea time :D

Dunno what he's called but I'll rename him anyway :)

12. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

OOh yay bet your well excited. Can't wait for pics...hint hint :D

13. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

He's here!!! So cute apparently killed his cage mate tho so won't risk getting any other mice friends for him

Doesn't have a name either :( gotta see if I can upload a pic from my phone as the computer doesn't pick up my card

He stank tho :( cage was smelly and dirty and it's a rotastack bottom so trying to find a cheap better cage for him

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice