Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Positive stuff in a time of worries

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MollySmith, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

A man in the village has his van broken into and couple of nights ago and a lot of his gardening equipment was stolen before a neighbour heard and disturbed the thieves.
    The man is one of the good guys round the village doing gardening work and turning his hand to most things to help out. As a family they don’t have a lot of money, yet he is always in the forefront of community projects.

Word got round about about the break in and the vicars wife set up a Just Giving Page a few hours ago for donations to raise £500 in so he could start to buy some necessary tools so he can continue his business (van insured but the company won’t insure contents). So far £1755 has been raised. I think he will now appreciate how popular and well respected he is around the village.

Jesthar, Pixel, FAW56 and 5 others like this.
  2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Awful about the thieves, but fantastic that so much has been raised for this man so quickly.

Siskin and lullabydream like this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

That's brilliant @Siskin

Those bloody thieves should be ashamed of themselves though!

Lurcherlad and Siskin like this.
  4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

My worry is that they come back in say a months time and have another go, it’s not unknown.
    The van is normally parked on the road so more vulnerable. My neighbour is also a gardener and has a van full of his equipment and has to park on the road as they don’t have a driveway. His wife oaks her car tightly gains the back of the van so the back doors cant be opened.

Amount now is nearly £1900

lullabydream and SbanR like this.
  5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I wonder if a simple sign saying no equipment left in this vehicle over night will be a deterrent?
    I know most are true, but my neighbour has the same sign on his van and it's filled to the brim with god knows what, as he's a bit of a wheeler dealer.

To be honest I don't think parking is always an issue.. If they want to get in something they will.

The thieves may think if a sign is up, and things have been replaced then the bloke isn't keeping things inside any more. Or being caught in the act is enough to scare them off. Hope people are now being vigilant about outside sheds etc just in case too.. You just never know!

Lurcherlad and Siskin like this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

My BIL loads and unloads the larger, more valuable gardening equipment at the start and end of each day.

I gave him the old trolley that I asked if I could have when a garden centre had stuck it in theit refuse corner - works a treat and carries lots of stuff.

Not worth the risk to leave any valuable equipment in a vehicle overnight imo.

Heart warming though that everyone rallied to help the guy in the OP :)

lullabydream and Siskin like this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I posted a large jiffy envelope to my sister in DomRep back in March. It had a document in it but as a fixed price up to a certain weight, I topped it up with chocolate and Hula Hoops :)

It’s finally been delivered to the island but has been languishing for weeks in Miami so goodness knows what state the chocolate will be in given the temperatures in Miami and Domrep..... :eek:

Hope the document survived - but more importantly, the chocolate is still edible! :D

lullabydream, SbanR and rona like this.
  8. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Yep, the only way to be completely covered is either insure the contents, or remove each night.

Or wire the van to the mains.

:)

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  9. margy

margy PetForums VIP

Iv'e just found a hedgehog curled in a ball at the bottom of my garden. Next door neighbour drew my attention to it because their dog was trying to dig under my fence to get it. Iv'e put it in a high sided box and put some dog food and a saucer of water in with it. I can;t see if it's injured but Iv'e just looked at it and it's eaten the food. I don't want to leave it in the garden because of next doors dog. I have phoned the nearest hedgehog rescue for advice but probably won't hear from them until tomorrow. Do you think I should take it to the wood and let it go when it gets dark?
    20200528_191228.jpg

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  10. rona

rona Still missing my boys

No, it may have babies somewhere. Will the dog kill it or just bother it?

11. margy

margy PetForums VIP

The dog won't get to it as long as it doesn't go next door. They have just moved here so I don't know what the dog would do it's a shar pei. It was going mad digging at my fence. I was wondering if I should just put it back where I found it when it gets dusk?

12. margy

margy PetForums VIP

Iv'e just gone out to check on it and it wasn't moving I thought it had passed away, but on picking it up it curled into a ball. When I put it on the lawn it trundled back under the hedge into the long grass and shrub that is there. I will see if it's gone in the morning. I hope it was just out looking for more food or a drink as we've had so little rain lately.

13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Maybe put a shallow dish of water and some dog food (not fishy) near the bush at night?

14. margy

margy PetForums VIP

I checked this morning and I had left food and water out last night. Hedgehog and food were gone. I'm going to buy some hedgehog food today and start leaving it out at night. :)

ForestWomble, Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  15. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

16. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Was this you MM?:D

lullabydream likes this.
  17. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Nah! I'm far too modest to go "skinny" shopping! ;)

18. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

The pink rose, our Beth, was planted a few years ago in memory of the daughter we never met. This year, the flowers have been amazing and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the garden. I’ve often felt it was too big for us amateurs not helped by a self assured neighbour when we first moved here who was keen to tell me what I was doing wrong. I retreated inside, then when I miscarried I stopped bothering. ‘Bloody fertile plants.’

Several things inspired me. Planting the rose, accepting I have a ‘blousy’ garden that’s far from well manicured and that if I want to keep a huge ash tree I need to work with the limitations.

We ought to be going away next week and of course it’s cancelled, but I’d usually be worrying about leaving the garden and watering. It’s been a strange positive, being able to order lots of nice things, three more roses to go with the other 11.... ahem... and be present with this space.

I stood in my shed this afternoon, cup of tea, radio on with my allergic-to-water-Labrador by my feet watching the rain bucket down and had a rare happy/tearful moment.

53856774-C693-46C0-A397-FBCF70D74BD8.jpeg

FAW56, margy, SbanR and 4 others like this.
  19. Dave S

Dave S Cosy Corner Collies

I know we all know it's a hard time at the moment
    and unfortunately the COVID-19 pandemic has finally affected me financially. In order ...to offset the extra cost for food, electricity, etc..... I’m needing to make some extra money on the side.
    Soooooooo....I am now proud to announce that I am selling adult toys.
    I hope no one is embarrassed to ask for them.
    I have all kinds, sizes and styles according to your needs.
    Discretion is guaranteed!! I am more than willing and able to demonstrate any items for you.

Ask for yours anytime. I have everything listed below.

-Zimmer frames
    -Wheelchairs
    -Oxygen tanks
    -Canes
    -Disposable nappies
    -Denture fixative
    and more!

20. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Beautiful

FAW56 and Happy Paws2 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice