Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Positioning of new stable block

Discussion in 'Horse Health and Nutrition' started by karenc53, Apr 18, 2011.

1. karenc53

karenc53 PetForums Newbie

Hi :)

I've got to work out where to position a brick built stable block to be able to submit drawings for planning permission. The more I think about it the more confused I get though :blink:

I've had a stable block where the wind went straight in, and my current stable block (brick) has such a big overhang the stables never get any warmth from the sun, and as they are positioned at the back of two big barns they don't seem to be well ventilated either, despite having air bricks.

My main concern is - which winter wind should I avoid going directly in - the north wind or the north-east wind.

Also, if I use a compass, which point should the stables look out onto (or rather the horses when in the stables) - I mean in terms of them getting too hot in summer sunshine.

We are moving, and I want to get it right this time. Any help would be really appreciated.

2. Starlight Express

Starlight Express PetForums Member

Hi, We built stables for our two lads a few years back although they are wooden. My grandad always swore by facing the stable doors North. As we rarely get a northern winter blast. We have a small overhang on the front. We have little wooden shutter type window to the rear of each stable ( facing south) which we can open in the summer so they can enjoy the sun if they are shut in. We have had two terrible winters now and the stables have been dry throughout.

Our Stables when first built showing small overhang. Hope this can be some help. :001_smile:

[​IMG]

3. karenc53

karenc53 PetForums Newbie

Thanks starlight express, that's really useful information, and the wisdom of the older generation can't be faulted.

Your stable block looks wonderful. I prefer the smaller overhang - after now having a really big one - no sun and ventilation gets in as I said before. I suppose a more sticking out one is useful if you want to tie the horses up outside the stables, but I very rarely do that anyway.

My current brick stables haven't got windows :( I felt so sorry for the horses being in the pitch black all night I had a light put in the roof - really low voltage but gives a bit of a glow so they can see their hay and water.

Have you windows got bars on, or is it the plastic type of window? I had "plastic glass" in the last stable but my Cob, who is a right vandal, broke his :nono:

4. Starlight Express

Starlight Express PetForums Member

The windows to the rear of the stables is open no bars or plastic. Dont think I have a photo, will try find one. It's like a wooden frame with a shutter door on a hinge that I can bolt open or closed. The opening is big enough for the horses to hang their heads out in the summer. We have aluminium plate secured to the wooden frame all the way round to prevent them chewing the wood (same on the front stable doors). I've found it helps to keep the stables airy and cool even on hot days and minimises dust.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice