Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Portable Air Cons (Cat-adjacent topic!)

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Bilai, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

Guys I know we've all been talking about various ways to keep our cats cool and I was just wondering - how many of you guys have air cons? Portable or fixed? Do they help the cats or does the noise freak them out?

2. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Mine is being delivered in 2 hours 45 mins according to dpd, I'll let you know :) Portable one & the zip thingy fo the window to stop the hot air coming back in.
    Have promised to get one every year when it is so ridiculously hot - my bedroom regularly over 40 centigrade. Finally bit the bullet as poor Poopy my 13 year old long haired cat is seriously suffering. Roll on autumn, I hate this weather.

Gwen9244, Paddypaws and Bilai like this.
  3. jazzye

jazzye PetForums Member

We have a couple of basic fans around the house, nothing fancy. I don't think it helps the cat much at all, but he doesn't mind it either!

Bilai likes this.
  4. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

Oh please do update me because this combo is exactly what I'm thinking of!

We live in an apartment which is the corner of the building so we have windows everywhere and the sun is always hitting us. It's lovely in winter but basically a greenhouse in summer! I swear my living room hits 40 degrees too!

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I have 3 portable air conditioners and am just about to have a fixed air con unit fitted on the wall in my kitchen, which will I hope be quieter. The fixed unit requires an outer wall so you can place the 'engine' outside. Also with a fixed unit I can do away in one room at least, with the yards of annoying hose stuck through a window!

The portable ones get used every summer, in fact I just bought the 3rd one this year. They are big, ugly looking objects and in the winter I store them in the garage (as my house is quite small).

Some of my cats don't mind the noise, some of them hate it. My experience is the better quality, more expensive air cons are usually quieter. I have one in my bedroom I can have on all night and sleep fine and I am a light sleeper.

The one I have in the bedroom is an Olimpia Splendid Isssimo like this one except mine is an earlier model.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Kitchen/Olimpia-Splendid-Issimo-12-White/B01BI1GYOU

If you can find the older model available anywhere (an 11) it will be cheaper. I paid about £550 for mine.

Also go for a model that has automatic condensing disposal, or you will have to keep emptying water out with a tray underneath. Most of the new ones have this auto condense facility. One of my models is now 10 yrs old and does not.

Before you buy read all the reviews and stretch to one as expensive as you can possibly afford. It will be worth it. :)

EDIT : worth noting that most of the portable air cons are only fully effective in a medium size room such as a bedroom. If you want them for a larger room you will need two, one at each end.

Gwen9244 and Paddypaws like this.
  6. Franlow

Franlow Guest

My son has fixed air con in his house - he lives next door - another long story, his cats really don't give a monkeys. They are BSH's & they are very laid back though

7. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Ooh @chillminx you live up to your name!
    Roughly how much is a single fixed unit going to cost?

8. Franlow

Franlow Guest

I paid £250 for a PC26-AMA 9000 BTU
    As I live on a major road (A205) this is no louder than the background traffic noise with the window open. If you live in the countryside, or a quiet cul de sac, you will find it loud, but, boy is it lovely!!!!

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

yes, I love being cooooool ! :D

We bought it last year but then couldn't find anyone to fit it for us last summer as they were all too busy or too expensive! This year I am determined to have it fitted, even if we have to wait until September, LOL! As far as I recall the unit cost around £1,500. Then there is the installation cost which I believe will be about £300 - £350 depending on how much work is involved. So not a cheap option. :(

Paddypaws likes this.
  10. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

Than you everyone! I think we will get a portable one. Was ready to get a fixed one but as we are in a listed building can't have the outside bit :(

11. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

We have a little portable unit (I say little - it's about the same size as a bedside table). It was dragged out and installed in the bedroom on Sunday amid great excitement from the boys. It was switched on and makes a terrible noise. Cue Flint (of course it would be him) prostrating himself on his back right in the cold draught. Parsnip dithered around before settling on the floor also enjoying a respite from the heat. The smallest member of the family was DISGUSTED! Ran out of the bedroom onto the landing and shouted and shouted. Trotted to bedroom doorway. Shouted looking concerned 'everyone get out of the bedroom, there's a monster!' Dashed off shouting. Bravely flitted back into bedroom, poked at Flint trying desperately to get him away from the danger. Dashed back onto landing. This went on for about 5 minutes until we left the air con to do its work and went downstairs to pander to the spoiled brat who was scampering around looking most put out! :D

12. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Which one did you get? I'd like a small one for my little bedroom/bolt hole when Mr HB snores!!!!!

13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

HB - Make sure you get one that is quiet enough to sleep with it running or you will be no better off than if you stay with M'sieu Snorer, LOL :)

huckybuck likes this.
  14. huckybuck

We had a portable unit for years (the emptying kind that CM mentioned). It did the trick but was noisy! The cats were terrified at first but soon got used to it. Huck would even sit on top when it was running. We could get away most nights without emptying the tray unless it was very hot...then we would have to get up in the night and empty.

We bit the bullet last year and had 2 rooms installed properly. We have ducting and units in the loft so only see in and out grills in bedrooms. The outside units are up on brackets on a side wall. It's so quiet you can't tell it's on!

It was expensive (around 10,000) but worth every penny as we hope may even add value to the house if we move. Our only regret is not getting more rooms done at the time.

chillminx likes this.
  15. huckybuck

It's odd CM but I can handle the noise of a machine/fan/Huck snoring but cannot bear Mr HB or anyone else for that matter even heavy breathing!! And I wear ear plugs lol!

I put it down to being an only child and never having to share a room with anyone other than a cat!!!!

Ringypie and chillminx like this.
  16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

HB - I know what you mean, LOL. :D I hate sharing with my OH when he snores as the gaps between snores are unpredictable and the noises he makes are variable, :( e.g. sometimes he makes a strange whistling noise, sometimes he grunts like a pig, and sometimes he does something I especially loathe - he grinds his teeth!! :Arghh I throw in the towel and depart to another room for the night when he does that, haha. :Banghead :D

Paddypaws and huckybuck like this.
  17. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

I'm exactly the same! I grew up in the Middle East with air conditioning on every night - partly to make the bedroom cool and partly to block out the cicadas and early morning call to prayer! Will have a look at the aircon when I go upstairs (it's nowhere near as powerful as the ones we had when I was young but they were the big units that went through a hole in the wall!

huckybuck likes this.
  18. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

Not only does my oh snore but he also fidgets and flings his legs around. One night he batted me round the head because he was fighting off a bee in his dream, well that's what he told me!

huckybuck and chillminx like this.
  19. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

I can't see a model number on it, it just says Amcor????

huckybuck likes this.
  20. huckybuck

Thanks lovely that will be enough to find.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice