Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Porta 21 Sensible has made my cats stink!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by LittleStar2010, Mar 26, 2011.

1. LittleStar2010

LittleStar2010 PetForums Junior

Just wondered if anyone else has this problem using this food?

I bought a 10kg bag off zooplus as I wanted something of reasonable quality and grain free but affordable. They enjoy it and eat it just fine, but wow! They stink! Not only their poops are gassing my flat out, but they're farting constantly and have a permenant pongy smell whafting around their back ends now, even though their bottoms are clean.

Anyone else had this issue using grain-free foods? Oddly enough, they didn't smell half as bad on the cheaper stuff.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Might not have anything to do with it being grain-free or slightly more expensive than the stuff that you fed before that didn't made them "pong". How slowly did you change it over? Did you do any change-over or did you just feed them the Porta Sensible from one day to the next? A gradual change over is particularly important when you are "upgrading" to better food as the system will need to get used to the things, such as the changed protein and fat content.

If you have done a gradual switch over a week or two, then it could simply be that that food doesn't suit them.

How long have they been eating the new stuff now? Might still be a chance that it will all settle.

3. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

I've been using my bag for ages and it makes mine quite windy too. Got a lecture from my dad again about having a stinky house :rolleyes:
    don't think I'll buy another bag.

4. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

I recently bought some of this to try and can honestly say I've noticed no difference in my kitties poops, or wind! Although they get very very little, so maybe thats why.

5. LittleStar2010

The change over was done over a period of 2-3 weeks, I have to be particularly careful as I have a very sensitive male neuter who throws up if food is changed too quickly. They've been on the porta alone now for about 2 weeks and they are smellier than ever! They also seem a bit bloated - I noticed my 3 year old female's belly was looking a bit round and gave it a rub to see if she was getting flabby, only for her to let rip the most enourmous fart and deflate! :eek:

I really hope they settle down though as I want them to be on a grain-free food but can't really afford the top brands like Orijen, especially when I have 4 cats to feed. The 10kg bag of porta for about 35 quid or so works out just about at the top of my budget, and should feed them all for a month per bag.

6. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

How about Applaws Dry? It's grain-free, and very affordable when you know where to look. For example, 7.5kg from pet-supermarket.co.uk is £29.16 at the moment (Applaws Adult Cat Food Chicken - Pet Supplies from PET SUPERMARKET® the UK's #1 Online pet store) and free P&P since it's over £29.

7. LittleStar2010

I did have them on Applaws a while back (about 18 months ago now) and they seemed ok on it, but the recent lawsuits against Applaws by the breeders who apparantly lost some of their cats due to contamination has me a bit wary of using it again to be honest. That said, the high meat content does impress me - Urgh, I can't decide what to do! :rolleyes::

8. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

The update on the lawsuit has been posted in this forum not too long ago. There is no longer a case or lawsuit against Applaws and the one breeder who made the allegation was unable to satisfactorily prove that the Applaws cat food she fed her cats was contaminated. Applaws has also been investigated by trading standards and was cleared. The case has been closed, Applaws did not pay anything out and the breeder in question had to take the page down.

And it was only one breeder who complained about it; if Applaws cat food truly was contaminated, there will be a lot of other complaints and plenty of cats who will have died from being fed Applaws. Funny how it's only one breeder.

You can ring Applaws customer help line for further information about it.

Anyway. I feed my cat Applaws dry along with his rotation of wet food and he is doing well on it, and many others on this forum also feed Applaws dry with no problems. But I'm not an Applaws sales rep, so I'd say feed what you're comfortable feeding. There's no perfect food out there that has high meat content, high quality meat, complete, grain-free, cheap, promotes long life, automatically rehydrate your cats and stays fresh forever. :laugh: We just have to pick and choose what we feel is right for us and our felines.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice