Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

poppy and babies

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by ruthmcnally, Aug 15, 2009.

1. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

Good afternoon

Hope that you are all having a good day. I would like to introduce you to the new arrivals

The picture is not that good but i will get there individual pictures done with names

108.jpg

105.jpg

Thank you all for your help and support

xxx

#1 ruthmcnally, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

oh they are so cute thanks so much for the photo. how are they all doing? is poppy happy? what room are you keeping them in? sorry for all the questions.

3. ruthmcnally

At the moment they are on the landing in a big fabric dog cage, poppy loves it, she is doing very well she won't leave them at all, so she has had breakfast in bed, lunch in bed and dinner as well. Not a bad life if you can get it. I weighted the babies this afternoon 3 approx 119g give or take 1 or 2 and the last one out which is the female black and white is only 108g so i have been trying to encourage her to eat by trying to latch her on. I have dicussed with hubby that if the weight gain is going slow with her i am going to talk to the vet about substuting a feed with kitties milk. I'm going to give her a couple of day i'll weigh her daily and see ho she is going. Hopefully its just because she was the runt of the litter that she will have gained weight by tomorrow afternoon. It is the waiting game, i'm sure that she will be fine.

I am going to have an early nite as it has now caught up with me. I have decided to keep one of the tabby males and i am trying to convince my hubby that he wil need a room mate, so hopefullyif he gives in i will be keeping one of the girls. If it was upto me i would keep them all.

I'll let you know how we are doing tomorrow. Keep us update with the progress of your kitties

ruth
    xx

4. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

hi Ruth you deserve the sleep, hope you get a good night.

Oh thats lovely your keeping one. The runt, is that the one you helped to breathe? lol your so funny, hopefully he will let you have two. My hubby said I couldn't have any of Ambers, but as time is going on its sort of understood im keeping a boy lol.

So that will be us with three as well! Amber is just resing a lot now, resting and eating. She can't really be bothered, I guess shes conserving her energy for next week

#4 kitties, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  5. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

It is normal for some kittens to be smaller than others so don't worry too much.

As long as she is gaining weight and feeding well there is no need to panic.

Looking forward to seeing them grow!

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Awww.... welcome to the world Poppy's little kitlets! They are going to be sooo pretty, good on yer Pops, will really enjoy the pics of them developing and growing! Keep an eye on the little one, I have occasionally had one that didn't/couldn't nurse at the start, no idea why, but was agitated and always hungry. Those ones I did supplement-feed and they soon started to feed on their own and caught up, I was used to doing that anyway as my first girl used to have 7 each time and with so many it can be a good idea to help mum out. One of my little runty ones I had to help at the start went to live with my sister, and died recently at the age of 16.

7. ruthmcnally

Good afternoon to you all, all the kitties were weighed this afternoon at 3o'clock, Male tabby/white was weighing 119g and is now 152g, Male tabby was weighing 122g and is now 149g, Girl black and white was weighing 124g and is now 138g, Girl Black was weighing 108g and is now weighing 133g, so i was worried about her but she has picked up and is now gaining weight with the others. The little black and white female is gaining weight, i will keep and eye out and make sure that she is latching on properly, and moniture the weight gain, but i am sure that she will pick up.

xx

8. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

ruth they are so gorgeous - I just love tabbies:001_wub:

Before Syd had her babies I was worried and then after she had them I was worried - Just like you!!!

They are gaining weight beautifully, Poppy is obviously a fantastic mum!!

Keep us updated with her progress!!

Love sophxxxxx

9. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

oh they sound like they are doing great. any sign of lily having her soph?

10. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

Well kitties, she is behaving very differently at the moment. She is off her food, lazing around and...well... it just feels different.

Hopefully, it will be soon - This waiting game is driving me round the twist - It was bad enough going through it with Syd but two of them!!!:eek:

11. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

Awww, so cute :)

12. ruthmcnally

Good afternoon, they all seemed to have a good nite, i have a slight concern with the balck and white one she has put weight on but not loads like the other 3. I weighed her this morning and she had lost not alot so i called the vet and got kittie formula. I have tried to feed her but she was having none of it and she is really vocal. I weighed her again to see if had had a feed while we were and she had, so i don't acctually know what to do. Should i perservier with the top up or just let her get on with it.

Some advice would be greatly apprecaited

thanks

ruthxx

13. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

Hi glad everything is going well. Sorry I can't answer your question cos I don't know, I am sure somebody will be along soon.

14. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

Bacon, the smallest of Tilda's babies doesnt really eat much, she is sooooo cute tho! I was a bit concerned about her but shes coming into her own now and is scrapping for the teets on occasion.

I sometimes gave her a little time on her own with Tilda just so she could get the best teets, just 5mins and all furries seemed happy.

xx

15. ruthmcnally

That is a great idea thank you she was latched on last nite thank god but she seems to eat more during the day and then sleeps at nite. So what ever reserves she has she is using to sleep. She put on yesturday the tabby boys do nothing but feed they have put on loads, the two girls are eating but not taking that much and are putting on the weight just a bit slower that the huge gorgeous boys. So fingers crossed they will get there. I can't believe that they are 5 days old today and the changed are amazing.

Thank you for your help again, i'm a nightmare and i do panic to much. I'll post some more picture this afternoon.

ruth

xx

16. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

oh ruth i dont know, sounds like a good idea to give her a bit of time on her own like others have said. thinking of you xx

17. ruthmcnally

Ok, both baby girls have had a feed without their brother which is good. I will weight them again at 3o'clock ans see what progress they have all made. Hope that everyone is well.

xx

18. ruthmcnally

Well its good news all round today, i was getting a bit concerned about my 2 baby girls not putting on much weight. They were all weighed this afternoon and i am pleased to say that they have put on a substancial weight in the last 24hrs, which has but my mind at rest..

Another question for you all at what age do they start opening their eyes and ears, for the life of it i can't remember.

Have a good evening

ruth

xx

19. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I noticed yesterday Cuba's babes have eyes starting to open, and more are following suit today! They will be a week old tomorrow (I think... lol). I'm not sure about when they can hear - I've made little squeaky noises at them and if they were able to hear, the ears would normally twitch.

[PS: They've been moved again.... RIGHT under my bed at the back... can't be comfortable but she's adamant that's where they need to be! Possibly because it's so dark there and she's protecting their newly opening eyes.]

20. ruthmcnally

Poppy was looking for some where else, but i put a cover over the top of the cage that she is in and one so it went over the enterance a little bit she is much happier. She was checking my draws again and got her head stuck what a noise, she didn't do it again.

xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice