Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Popping sounds while sleeping/relaxed

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by MomoKomo, Jan 11, 2019.

1. MomoKomo

MomoKomo PetForums Newbie

Ok, I've bent the search engines so far, and still feel in the dark, so if by any chance, anyone out there knows anything at all, please, do tell!
    My already 8 years old cat has a thing: just before falling asleep or whenever he's receiving pets, he makes this popping like sound from his nose when he's blowing out the air. Sometimes he'll go a bit extra when the backrub is just right and go extra loud on those snorts like popping like snores sounds. He has no trouble breathing, he eats like a champ, the vet didn't do a detailed check on his respiratory system but otherwise deemed him health as he can be.
    Am I just being a paranoid "mom" and helicopter over the poor creature? Has anyone else noticed anything of the likes at any given chance? Am I slowly losing my mind?
    Thanks in advance, I suppose.

2. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Sorry this may not be much help to you, but my Max is 8 and did the popping noise August 2017. I don’t know which part of his face they came from, sounded like bubbles bursting and I can’t even remember what the vet said, but Max no longer makes the popping sounds.

#2 TriTri, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Has he always done this, or is it something new?

4. MomoKomo

He's been doing it (according to my mom, because I was overseas for work during the past couple of years, and I don't exactly know when it all started) for quite some time now, but only when he's about to sleep or really enjoying his backrubs. My mom calls them his pleasure sounds. She said it's because he's getting old, but then again, best to ask if this happens to others.
    He is rather overweight, like 7+kg for a mix Siamese 8year old cat. Or is he?

5. MomoKomo

Thank for your reply, it's plenty of help, because the behaviour is similar. Only difference is that Mitic still does the balloon popping thing on a regular basis.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@MomoKomo - I assure you that at the age of 8 yrs a cat is not "old" they are still in the prime of their lives. :) (or was that a typo and you meant "18 yrs old" ? ;))

But for a Siamese-type cat to weigh 7 kg+ sounds like a heckuva lot, in view of the fact that Siamese cats are usually slight in build and slender in body. What has the vet said about your cat's weight?

My thoughts are that his weight could be an issue, e.g. perhaps there is internal pressure on his lungs.

Or that possibly he has a food allergy.

What is his diet like? Is he fed a lot of dry food? Or wet food with grains in it? Or milk?

TriTri and kimthecat like this.
  7. TriTri

Yes I agree, he isn’t old at 8 years of age and he sounds very overweight for a Siamese. Sorry! May be worth you putting a picture of him on here for us to see? We love pictures :)

8. MomoKomo

Ok, so first is that he is a mix of Siamese with something else. His eyes are blue and he has the typical color scheme, just that his fur is mostly brown instead of a lighter colour. I'm feeding him a healthy amount of dry and wet foods, with an occasional boiled fish or chicken in small amounts. The vet did comment on the fact that he is a bit big but that I shouldn't worry (and no, he is 8 years only, but thanks for reassuring me that he is still much to young to be called an old fluff )
    He doesn't seem to have difficulty breathing, he plays a lot with his younger sister, eats a hole in my wallet (because he tends to eat her food also) and drinks plenty of water. It puzzles me that this sound comes out of him when he relaxes in my arms or on the couch

9. MomoKomo

10. MomoKomo

My bad also, I am not 100% sure what his mix is exactly, he was a rescue kitten I found in college, 8 years back. And he doesn't have trouble breathing, even when he's doing this popping sound, sometimes he mixes the popping with purring and its just hilarious. I'm really not sure when it all started, but it only happens when he's making himself comfty for sleep and when his back, ears and butt are being scratched.

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

IME vets usually like cats to be on the slim side, so if your vet says you shouldn't worry about your cat's weight then I wouldn't worry.

Tbh he doesn't look really big in the photos but perhaps the angle is deceptive? Are you sure he is over 7 kg ? Two of my cats (brothers) each weighs over 6.5 kg and they are big cats with long legs and long in the body. I would expect a cat weighing 7 kg + to look pretty large, e.g. like a Maine Coon kind of size. Perhaps your cat has a big belly which doesn't show in the photos?

12. TriTri

I love his beautiful brown furry socks. They are both pretty cats. He looks bigger in your avitar picture. Biscuits are very fattening for cats, a vet told me.

13. MomoKomo

Last time we weight him at the vet he was 8ish with his box including. I weighted him about two months back and he was about 7 and a half kg. His belly is not particularly big, but he is one heavy to lift fella. When he gets on my dad's lap, I can see the poor man struggle to readjust .
    Seriously though, comparing him to one of my friends cats who really do look overweight (we're talking small head, huge body) Mitic is rather fit. Kinda has a big ass, but he is castrated, so it's only natural that he would be heavier since.
    My reason for this post is to ask the people of this community if such sounds are normal to happen (due to lack of symptoms that would indicate a health issue). I mean, he purrs just fine, all be it that he is a quiet purrer, and doesn't snore or make sounds once asleep, so then what the pudding are the popping sounds he makes when exhaling while he's relaxing? I read about stertors and stridors, but they don't quite fit the bill, as he does this thing right before falling asleep, and when I'm petting him.
    He's enjoying scratches behind his ears, all while I'm slowly losing my mind in a corner o_O

#13 MomoKomo, Jan 12, 2019 at 12:32 AM
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 12:43 AM
  14. MomoKomo

Thank you, and I assume if they could understand, they too would thank you :Cat

#14 MomoKomo, Jan 12, 2019 at 12:35 AM
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 12:43 AM
    TriTri likes this.
  15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@MomoKomo - yes I understood the reason for your post. ;).

All I can say is that the sound you describe doesn't sound 'common', but whether it is a health issue or not I don't know. What does your vet say about it ? Has the vet listened to his chest to see if there are any abnormal sounds in his lungs?

One of my cats who has asthma makes odd little noises in his throat (e.g. when he purrs) if his asthma is not being controlled or if he has a upper respiratory infection (URI), I am not saying this applies to your cat - I don't know.

Can I suggest you video your cat in close-up on your phone next time he makes the "popping" noise and show it to your vet. You could post it here too if you would like forum members' comments. .

However, your cat's general health would undoubtedly be improved if you got his weight down a bit . Take him off all dry food for a start and feed him a grain free, sugar free, high meat protein wet food.

TriTri likes this.
  16. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Can you get some video of it?

TriTri likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice