UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
... well actually - 'pop' goes Branston's nose :yikes:

I've never seen so much blood (ok, slight exaggeration but there was a lot of blood)

I was walking the dogs on the downs this morning when I suddenly realised they had discovered something of interest, I called them back but whatever it was caused them both to go completely deaf :rolleyes: They were barking at whatever it was and then leaping backwards, I was shouting at them to leave it but they were ignoring me. Once I got close enough I realised it was a weasel.

They obviously didn't really know what to make of it, but the terrier in Lily obviously took over her and she was trying to grab it, but my God did it put up a fight. It was standing up on it's hind legs and screaming at them, Branston lunged towards it and it leapt up and bit him right on the end of the nose!! He yelped and jumped back and I managed to grab his collar, Lily then managed to grab hold of it and threw it up in the air, it was horrible to watch but thankfully I managed to grab her too.

They were lungeing on their collars trying to get to it and I was shouting at them to leave it. Because Branston was pulling so much it was making blood literally spurt out of his nose, I was just trying to get them away from the weasel and give it half a chance to get away, it was a really horrible situation.

Eventually I managed to get them to switch the 'crazy switch' off in their brains and actually listen to me. I then realised that all of us were covered in blood!!! It was all over both of them and all down my legs as well (I'd cleverly decided to wear light coloured trousers today too!!)

I checked Branston's nose and he has a very clear bite mark - either side of his nostril, once he stopped lungeing though and gave it a good lick it stopped bleeding.

I couldn't get back to check on the weasel as I couldn't risk going back with the dogs, even on their leads, and there was nowhere to tie them up. I felt really bad as I wanted to know whether Lily had injured it when she threw it, I would have put it out of it's misery if it was badly injured and I still feel awful that it could have been laying there suffering :(

Once I had stopped shaking and feeling utterly fed up with how disobedient they were when I was telling them to leave it, we carried on with our walk. The pickles went for a swim in the stream to wash all the blood off their fur. I however, looked like something out of the Texas chainsaw massacre and dread to think what the old man we met walking his westie on the way back thought :eek:

I think Branston's nose is going to be scarred, it's really quite deep although it didn't bleed anymore after the initial haemorrhaging!!!

I was really amazed at how aggressive the weasel was - fair play to it, I just hope it survived :(

G

·
Aww bless the poor thing and gosh what a to do for you. Weasels when cornered/caught as you saw can be very testy. I hope his nose heals without infection.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Crikey, poor Branston, yes weasels can be very feisty as our old cat found out, she managed to bring it into the house but dropped it and it had her cornered and she was looking very worried :lol:

Hope his nose heals ok, it would have been good to check, but a second look at fearsome Lily may have done more harm, you did the right thing leaving it in peace, if she tossed him rather than terrier shake it is prob shocked but fine and will stay out of pickles way in the future. you might find they go weasel hunting next time though, well Lilly, not ouchy nosed Branston :eek:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
aw poor branston! that must've been quite scary! At least he might not try and play with one again though? Im sure the weasel was alright though, i expect they are resilient little things!

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aww bless the poor thing and gosh what a to do for you. Weasels when cornered/caught as you saw can be very testy. I hope his nose heals without infection.
It certainly was a feisty little thing. I've cleaned up Branston's nose and will be keeping a close eye on it over the next few days. It looks ok at the moment he just has a couple of pink lines on his black nose.

How horrible! Kilo's nose bled loads when the BT took a chunk out of it, but no scar - maybe because the area is so vascular? Hope Branston is OK.
It certainly bled a lot for a little cut! It didn't help that he was pulling so much on his collar, he was practically choking himself so obviously building the pressure in his head too!

Crikey, poor Branston, yes weasels can be very feisty as our old cat found out, she managed to bring it into the house but dropped it and it had her cornered and she was looking very worried :lol:

Hope his nose heals ok, it would have been good to check, but a second look at fearsome Lily may have done more harm, you did the right thing leaving it in peace, if she tossed him rather than terrier shake it is prob shocked but fine and will stay out of pickles way in the future. you might find they go weasel hunting next time though, well Lilly, not ouchy nosed Branston :eek:
Oh dear, your poor cat!! They really do put upa fight if cornered don't they!

We've seen them from a distance a few times but this is the first time they've managed to corner one, they normally disappear down a hole before the pickles get close to them. I will keeping a good look out for them in future though. I hope it was ok, Lily just sort of flung it in the air (like how a cat plays with a mouse) but it flew quite a long way and I didn't see how it landed :(

Oh no poor Weasel & poor Branston.:(

I had a similar incident with a rabbit which Flint caught,told him to leave it and then Craven took it although he dropped it pretty quick when he realised it was a live animal.:eek:

Although in my case the rabbit didn't fight back.
The pickles have caught a few rabbits before, but they've always been mixy ones, the first time they caught one I think they were so surprised they didn't know what to do!!

aw poor branston! that must've been quite scary! At least he might not try and play with one again though? Im sure the weasel was alright though, i expect they are resilient little things!
I hope they don't do it again, not something I'd like to experience again :( I really hope the weasel was ok, I really hate to think of any animal suffering :(

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
Oh mercy it's dangerous on that there island ;) Cripes sounds like the weasel was a fiesty blighter. Hope branston heals quickly :)

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh mercy it's dangerous on that there island ;) Cripes sounds like the weasel was a fiesty blighter. Hope branston heals quickly :)
I know, never a dull moment eh! Still it gives me plenty of material for my books....... although perhaps 'pop goes the weasel' isn't really suitable material for a childs book :lol: :lol:

Branston's nose looks fine today, you can still clearly see the bite marks but it looks clean and seems to be healing nicely.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Oh poor Branston!

I remember when I did some work exp. in a wildlife rescue, weasels were notorious for putting up a fight, in fact if they didn't then it was time to worry about them :rolleyes:

FWIW, my older dog got bitten by a rabbit on the nose, bled a bit but didn't scar :eek:

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
I know, never a dull moment eh! Still it gives me plenty of material for my books....... although perhaps 'pop goes the weasel' isn't really suitable material for a childs book :lol: :lol:

Branston's nose looks fine today, you can still clearly see the bite marks but it looks clean and seems to be healing nicely.
Well it would be no "wind in the willows" :lol:

Glad Branston's healing well.

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Well those pickles certainly keep you on your toes :rolleyes:

Poor weasel and poor Branston :(

Weasels are pretty tough creatures so hopefully the critter was OK.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well those pickles certainly keep you on your toes :rolleyes:

Poor weasel and poor Branston :(

Weasels are pretty tough creatures so hopefully the critter was OK.
They do indeed, I can't really remember the last day when we didn't have some sort of drama or excitement!! :lol:

I hope it was ok too, not a nice way to go - being flung threw the air by an over excited pickle :eek:

·
Banned
9,695 Posts
I hope Branston's ok.

I have no sympathy for the weasel. They are horrid things. I used to breed lop ear rabbits. We had 7 kits about a week old. Went out to the hutch to find the babies had been stripped to the bone - only the little skeletons left. Found out that's what weasels do. Have hated them since.
I can't understand why anyone would hate a wild animal for doing what nature intended it to do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.