Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

poorly puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Beagle Mafia, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

I am a bit worried about my beagle puppy. Last weekend he started running a temperature (he felt very hot to touch but was shivery) I thought his eyes looked red and weepy. On the Monday I took him to the vet - he had a temperature and was given Amoxycare and Eye drops. He is due back for a check up today but he is still not himself. He is being sick so has been on chicken and rice for over a week. He is very shivery still and feeling hot. His eyes look a lot better but he is coughing and sneezing a lot. He's been amazing taking his tablets, the drops have been a nightmare but I just don't think he is better at all. I am just a bit worried he's our first puppy and this week has been hard. Just wondering what may be wrong or what to do to help him. Hopefully vet will have answers later I was just wondering what may be the problem?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Could be kennel cough with a secondary infection.

Whats his poo like?

3. missy2pippin

missy2pippin PetForums Newbie

our dog was a bit like this when she was young ..she had caught a chill we gave her warm milk and kept her diet light ..and used a warm hot water bottle
    hope pups better soon

4. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

his poo seems fine - well formed and the colour 'd expect no blood or mucous or anything. He's looking beter in his eyes but is so lethargic and is being sick once or twice every few days so its not all the time. He is eating fine and drinking well. Its weird you can really tell when they are not right but its hard to explain. He is sleeping more than he used to when he is awake he is very clingy and so well behaved lol. I am not saying he is naughty but we do not have the sort of 'crazy' behaviour we had before. Thanks for the suggestion :)

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

If he were mine, id have some blood tests, just to be on the safe side. Vomiting is unusual with KC as far as i know, although they do retch a lot when coughing.

Does sound like he's picked a bug up from somewhere (KC has been terrible so far this year). Hits the younger and weaker animals quite hard.

6. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Thanks Nonnie I will suggest a blood test, hope its nothing too bad but just want him better, its sad seeing him so sad :(

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Oscar was really ill as a puppy. It was coming out of both ends. Once they are on the right treatment, they soon perk up.

The main worry with vomiting is dehydration, but as his poo's are ok, i doubt this will be an issue right now.

Good luck at the vets, and let us know how it goes. I find making a list of all the symptoms helps, and perhaps a log of when he vomits/coughs/sneezes. I always forget stuff once im actually there :)

8. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Thanks Nonnie for all your help, Buster hasn't got a temperature and the vet thinks his chest and everything sounds fine so has given us more eye drops and asked us to work out what may have changed in routine as he thinks its an allergy. We have changed our washing powder hoping that will help.

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Thats good news.

Working out what it is will be a challenge :)

10. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

I thought that!

We are going to slowly change a few things that we thought were obvious. We changed our washing poweder about 7 weeks ago from Tesco own brand to something that was on offer, we also thought it may be carpet cleaner as with accidents on floor.

11. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

After no sleep whatsoever last night I took Buster to the emergency vet this morning to be told they think he has Kennel Cough, he was coughing all night (a real hacking sound almost as if choking) I got very upset because he'd been back to normal but turned so sudden last night I feel so bad as we brought our new addition home just hours before so we now have to watch her so carefully vet said its too late for vaccine - just feel so annoyed as the other vet said it would never be Kennel Cough!

We have anti-inflammatory tablets and antibiotics for Buster but have to keep a close eye on Bella. What can we do to help with the cough as I am sure you will understand that sitting up all hours of the night with a sad puppy coughing is difficult :-(

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Awww, poor Buster.

You can give them milk and honey for the cough, and some people use cough syrup such as Buttercup.

13. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

aw bless him. wee soul. let us know how he gets on.

14. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

I am just so annoyed as he is unable to bond with new puppy properly and it should have been enjoyable for him :(

Poor Bella as well is new to home and we are trying to keep them as apart as possible - I feel so bad :(

Is that just normal milk and honey Nonnie?

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Yes. Id use goats milks if you can get it. Or i think they do a lactose free one now.

16. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Thanks so much Nonnie you have been great! Do I warm the milk..is it served hot, warm or cold?

17. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

one of our dogs caught kennel cough at puppy class and passed it onto the other 3... nightmare. I rang the vets and she suggested baby benalyn for chesty coughs. We used it on all 4 of them and the little ones were all cleared up in 3 days although it hung onto the big boy a bit longer so he was quaranteened at OH house for a couple of weeks until it had completely gone to avoid reinfecting the others.

Some vets will insist on prescribing something but it'll be the same as kiddies cough mixture with some fancy name so you don't realize and then charge you £30 or more for the privilege ;)

18. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

hows the wee man holding up?

19. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Thanks Ducky, hes doing OK coughing a lot, sleeping quite a bit and looking quite depressed. However he does have his typical beagle moments and during these I know he's fine flying round the garden at 90MPH.

20. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

aw thats good, im sure he will feel better soon. such hardy wee dogs. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice