UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Shadow has started this thing last night he keeps coughing/retching but hasn't yet been sick or coughed up what ever is bothering him. I have felt his tummy as thought perhaps he's bloated his tummy is a bit hard but I wouldn't say he's bloated. I don't know why he's doing this I just hope it's nothing major? :(:(

·
Still missing my boys
42,303 Posts
Have you been to the vet?

A puppy should never be left.

It sounds like it may be Kennel cough and that can be fatal to Pups and elderly dogs :(

Does your vet do out of hours?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It only started last night....he's not left on his own atm for any longer then 15 mins. We have the vets on friday for his 2nd vaccination. I just looked up kennel cough and I think that's what it is. :mellow: He seems fine in himself though

·
Still missing my boys
42,303 Posts
Has your sisters dog any signs?
It may be a few more days for an adult dog to show signs, if at all
I assume that is the only dog your pup has met?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Please when you phone your vet to get appointment for this puppy tell them that it may have kennel cough, they will probley want you to not wait in the waiting room, kc is caught so easy and can be very dangerous to young or sick dogs
Hope he recovers soon

·
Life is Golden
3,719 Posts
It only started last night....he's not left on his own atm for any longer then 15 mins. We have the vets on friday for his 2nd vaccination. I just looked up kennel cough and I think that's what it is. :mellow: He seems fine in himself though
I would take pup first thing tomorrow and get him checked out by your vet.
Kennel cough can be very serious if he has it.

Its better to be safe than sorry:(

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your replies...he does have Kennel cough I phoned the vets first thing this morning and she said that because he still seems fine in himself that we should just monitor him and if he gets any worse then the vet would come and see us outside. He is still eating and hasn't coughed anywhere near as much as he was yesterday. He has his 2nd vaccine Friday as well... was really looking forward to nearly being able to start taking him for walks and obviously can't get his injection done if he's still showing signs :(. I contacted my sister and her Golden Retriever had it a couple of years ago and she was vaccinated not long after. she is fine so it can't be from her and that's the only place Shadow has been. so I have no idea how he got it. Anyway he seems to be getting better so just a mild case I hope. :001_tongue:

·
Still missing my boys
42,303 Posts
Fingers crossed it is a mild case.

There does seem to be a strain going around recently that doesn't have the constant hacking cough that most of us think of as KC.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Should he be having vaccinations as he's poorly ? I would double check this with the vet!
Usually pups suspected of incubating an illness or ones that are ill, shouldnt be vaccinated so I would deffinately check with them it might have to be delayed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No he shouldn't that's why I said it would delay his vaccinations :(.. he's much better now he hasn't coughed all day :thumbsup: Nearly time too discover the outside world. Can't wait

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.