Poorly puppy still with breeder

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by PGM, Dec 30, 2017.

1. PGM

PGM PetForums Newbie

Hi all, this is my first post. We were due to pick up our chocolate lab (Bruno) in two days. Unfortunately, he went down with sickness on Boxing Day. He’s been with the vet until today and has had a bit of one of his litter mates’ collars removed from his intestine.

We want to bring him home on New Year’s Day, but speaking to the breeder I get the impression she wants us to wait until he has his stitches out in two weeks!

What are the disadvantages of taking a puppy at 10weeks instead of 8? We got our last lab at 6 months and he was great, living with us until he was 15.

A part of me suspects that she might want to hold on to him after all the expense, nursing etc.

Violet Turner likes this.
  2. Sproglet

Sproglet PetForums Senior

Sounds like a very good breeder to me. She wants to make sure her pup (who she has invested a lot of time, money and love into) is fit and healthy before he goes to his new home. If you're right with suspecting she'll want to keep him, there's not too much you can do about it. As far as his age when he comes home, it shouldn't make too much difference.

kimthecat likes this.
  3. PGM

PGM PetForums Newbie

Thanks Sproglet - yeah she has been excellent with us all the way through. I hope that I didn’t come across as being negative about her; couldn’t be further from the truth.

I found another forum thread where the majority said 10 weeks was fine and even preferable in some ways. He will be the last to go and so used to sleeping on his own etc.

Sproglet likes this.
  4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I had a pup kept back until ten weeks as we were on a house buying holiday 200 miles away from where we lived, so it was thought best all round that the puppy stay with the breeders a little longer.
    She was fine, was almost house trained and had spent more time with her mother and some of the older dogs to teach her some manners. The most essential bit was that she had been carried out about by the breeder to experience a bit of the world

PGM and Sproglet like this.
  5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Your pup will be fine to come to you at 10 weeks old.

My Jack Russell bitch was 10 weeks when I brought her home and she suffered no harm at all for that.

Your Breeder sounds very conscientious and clearly cares about her pups.

Violet Turner, PGM and Sproglet like this.
  6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

In all honesty it sounds like the breeder is being responsible both to the puppy and to yourselves, to me it makes sense to let him recuperate and completely heal in a familiar environment and I can understand why she likely wants to see it through to the end stitches out and fully recovered to ensure all is completely OK before going to his new owners and home.

As long as she is a good breeder and it sounds like she is a responsible caring one, and she is introducing him and doing all the things he should be experiencing at this age, then you should be fine.

kimthecat, sskmick and PGM like this.
  7. PGM

PGM PetForums Newbie

Poor little fella! We went to see him today. He didn’t eat a bit of a collar, he ate the whole damn thing! At the moment he is skin and bone and only just getting back to eating.

It broke my heart to see him so lethargic.

By coincidence, the vet was there and he said the little guy was close to death. After seeing him, he needs to stay with his breeder for another couple of weeks.

Anyone have any idea how being this ill will affect his development and or insurance?

8. PGM

PGM PetForums Newbie

Sadly, he didn’t make it. His gut concertined again and he had to have a second op which was just too much for him and he passed away.

Devastating for us and the breeder.

9. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

So sorry to hear that RIP little man

PGM likes this.
  10. Violet Turner

Violet Turner Banned

RIP Bruno:(

PGM likes this.
  11. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear this, poor little mite. Rest in peace.

PGM likes this.
  12. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

Oh, I'm so sorry, how awful for all concerned. Run free little one.

PGM likes this.
  13. Alethea

Alethea PetForums Newbie

Gosh, so sorry to hear this very sad news.

PGM and Violet Turner like this.
  14. Sproglet

Sproglet PetForums Senior

So sorry x

PGM likes this.
  15. Carl Quinn

Carl Quinn PetForums Newbie

How horrible for all involved. So sorry to hear that. Thoughts go to you and the breeder.

16. PGM

PGM PetForums Newbie

Thank you all for the kind words. We were all very upset, even though we had only met him 4 times. There was just something about him from the first meeting, when he went straight to my 9 year old daughter and claimed her.

I’m glad all the rest of the litter was fine and have, according to the breeder, gone to lovely homes (I don’t envy the family who have taken on the ‘yellow firecracker’, however.)

17. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this.

RIP little one

18. PGM

PGM PetForums Newbie

Funny how things turn out. One of his litter mates was returned due to an allergic family member. The beeeder gave us first refusal, so here we are.

Now, if I could just remember how to upload photos...

Alethea likes this.
  19. Alethea

Alethea PetForums Newbie

How very exciting for you. Wishing you all lots of happy and fun times ahead ☺️

PGM likes this.
  20. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

What a lovely end to this story, I'm so pleased for you.

Not sure if you're using a PC or something like an ipad(which I use), but how I post a picture is like this.
    In the reply box there is a button marked a upload a File. Click on that and follow the I structions. On the iPad i can select photos directly off the Apple photo app. Hope this helps

PGM likes this.