Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poorly Puppy! please help as very concerned young owners

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jade Topping, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Jade Topping

Jade Topping PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I am new to this website and this is my first post.

Myself and my partner have a 5 month old puppy...Boss. Boss is a pedigree Staffordshire bull terrier and we live in stoke.

Last Thursday we were very concerned about our dogs health as he was very dosey and sleepy. Not answering to his name or surroundings, vomitting and having diarrhea.
    We took him to the emergancy vets. Basic bloods and an ultrasound come back fine- accept the ultrasound states his belly was full? Yet boss hasn't ate since dinner time and we were at the vets for 8pm? He was certain Boss had access to food, yet we were positive he hadn't. As the vet wasn't concerned we went home (£350)and booked an appointment with our vet for the day after as advised.
    On the Friday we took our dog to the vets where he got attacked by another dog. As this was the case the vet was more concerned about his wounds than the issue we presented with. She just advised we gave him chicken and rice. So we did for the whole weekend. Yet boss was still being sick and now struggling to pass feaces.
    We took Boss back to the vets who ran more tests to rule out the need for a portosystemic shunt. There was also something loged into his bowel that they were concerned about. The tests to conclude the shunt come back clear so they decided to operate to get the foreign object from his bowel which went fine. It was a small jagged rock and gravel.
    They gave us post op food for sensitive stomach and the first night he was sleepy but ok. Today we have fed I'm 3 meals. He's had very bad diarrhea and since this afternoon been sick repeatedly until the point he is bringing back bile. Boss is very sleepy. Boss is very underweight from this sickness episode.
    What should I do?
    He has a check up appointment on Monday and I think the emergancy vets have no concern for your dogs health just how deep your pockets are.

Attached Files:

2. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Go back to the vets now, don’t wait.

3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi. Welcome to PF, sorry it's under the circumstances.

I understand why you might think the emergency vets are only concerned with the money, but they aren't. By their very nature, e-vets are there for those pets who cannot wait until normal vets are open. It's not about the money.

In any case, I think it's worth calling them. Sometimes they can give advice over the phone, but from what you describe, they'll probably need to see him and may even need to admit him for fluids.

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Poor boy he looks gorgeous. I agree I would call is he insured ?

Kim Watcham and LinznMilly like this.
  5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Absolutely agree, emergency vet needed. It sounds as though he has an obstruction.
    Vets are NOT just in it for the money, there are much easier ways to earn a living.

6. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

7. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Oh poor little pup n poor owners, hope they can get him sorted. Wonder where/how he managed to get a rock & gravel from without them noticing- do hope they have got him back to the vets

Kim Watcham and margy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice