Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poorly Puppy advice

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Marnold1980, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Marnold1980

Marnold1980 PetForums Newbie

Hi, my boy Reggie (9 weeks tomorrow) had a bad bought of sickness and dodgy tummy. He was up every hour through the night and few accidents. He ended up very dehydrated and I took him to emergency vets where they kept him overnight and gave IV fluids and injection to stop sickness. He was then discharged and sent home with probiotic paste for his tummy.
    He’s been home since yesterday. He is generally okay and has been eating small portions of chicken and rice on advice of vet and taking the medicine. He doesn’t seem to want to drink a lot but is having some water. He is also very sleepy. I woke him a few times in the night for the toilet and he really didn’t want to go. I was concerned incase he had loose poo in his crate (as he had previous to vet visit) but he really didn’t want to leave his crate!
    Yesterday his poos were still loose and they looked like mustard I believe that could be the change in diet? Anyway; he’s now not pooed in almost 24 hours. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?
    The vet didn’t know what caused his poorly tummy. She said it could have just been from the stress of leaving mum etc. I’m just worried I’m doing something wrong and that he will get really ill again. Was so horrible to see after only having him a few days. I don’t want to go through that again.
    Couple of questions:
    - how many times should I get up in the night? Do I set my alarm or wait for him to wake me
    - how can I make him drink more water?
    - is there anything else I need to watch out for?
    Thanks in advance
    From a Nervous Puppy Mum

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome what breed is your pup ? I would stay with him for a couple of nights so you can listen out for him. You could boil some chicken and give him the water or add water to his food.

Linda Weasel likes this.
  3. Marnold1980

Hi, Reggie is a cockapoo. He’s 9 weeks today. He sleeps in his crate at the bottom of my bed. Last night was a much better night. happily he managed a poo and although was yellow like I believe that’s due to the chicken diet? It was mush more formed.

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Poos following a stomach upset are often yellow. If they're getting more formed, that's a good thing. As said above, using the water used to boil chicken for him should be very tempting, or a small amount of goat's milk (never cow's) added to his dish.

5. Marnold1980

Thank you. pleased to report he’s on the mend. Like a new dog! Lots of energy and now just wants food constantly. He’s back on his kibble and giving him the recommended amount. Poo and pees are normal and he’s drinking a lot more water

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice