Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poorly Pup - Wormer Related?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by JenFraser, Aug 18, 2009.

1. JenFraser

JenFraser PetForums Newbie

Hi

Sorry about no proper introduction or anything, in a bit of a pannick really. I have a very unwell puppy who is 8 weeks old, I have been to the vets and had one call out already to him, no one is really sure what is wrong with him.

We believe it could be down to wormer, we wormed him on Friday for the first time since getting him last week, we wormed him with Drontal Puppy Wormer, he seemed fine for the first few hours, until i was woken up by him screaming at 2am Saturday, I settled him down, thinking he just wanted attention. I woke again at 3am and went to check on him to find him pretty much in a coma, I rang the vet who said that there wasnt much he could do really with a pup who was showing no sign of waking and was limp.

I continued to try and wake him and at 8am he started to come round, he then was sick several times and showed signs of improvement. However he continued to try to be sick and almost look like he was having a fit. I took him to the vet at 3pm on Saturday, she said that she thought it could be a tummy bug or possibly down to the wormer so she gave us some different wormer to try, we took him home, had another sleepless night but he did improve, the gagging stopped and there was less crying, he slept through on Sunday night and seemed to be getting back to normal yesturday.

My fiancee wormed him with the wormer the vet gave us last night, I woke this morning to a screaming puppy gagging and unable to stand up, I think it is down to the wormer but now downt know what to do, I want to stop feeding him wormer and see if that does the trick but also understand that he needs to be wormed, I really dont know what to do. I'm finding it very distressing to see him in pain like this.

Jen

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Take him to another vet, and physically take him today. Im appalled your vet said they couldnt do anything for a collapsed puppy.

He needs to see someone ASAP. Puppies dehydrate extremely quickly.

3. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

Ok i don't want to waffle on as i don't want to waste time.
    Please take your puppy to a different vet,whatever is wrong with her sounds very serious whether a reaction to wormer or something else.I don't want to scare you but it would be wrong to guess a a diagnosis on something this serious.
    I have never had a reaction as severe as this to wormer.
    I really hope she is ok,i find the attitde of the vets pretty shocking,good luck xx

4. JenFraser

He's been physically seen by one vet, the other spoke to me on the telephone at 3am. I am no novice with dogs but this is the first time I have ever seen a seemingly strong and healthy pup suddenly become ill this way.
    I do think it is a reaction to the wormer, I am going to not worm him today (the wormer was to be administered a small amount at a time over a number of days) and if he is better tomorrow then hopefully I will know its the wormer that is causing him to be so ill.

I am going to take him back to the vets tomorrow and hopefully she can tell me what's wrong then, when he was taken in on Saturday afternoon she said it wasnt parvo or distemper but was possibly some kind of infection or the wormer.

5. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I agree with the above. I would take him to a different vet ASAP

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I woudlnt worm until he is 100% ok, and even then id be extremely careful.

Is he eating and drinking? I would still be concerned about dehydration.

7. JenFraser

I am feeding him electrolite stuff and water to keep him hydrated, he will eat from time to time, when the pain in his stomach isnt as bad. Yesturday he seemed almost back to normal. He was eating and drinking as normal and even walking around, he was a bit restless at bed time and was doing a fair bit of crying when i put him to bed but that is normal for him. When my fiancee came in from work at around 11pm he decided to worm him again, and hence he is very ill again this morning.

8. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Seriously take this pup to a different vet.I would never have used this wormer again if i had suspected it was making the pup unwell - quite a dangerous thing to do given the symptoms you are describing - you sound like you have a very poorly pup that needs treatment.I urge you- whether or not you think you have experience of dogs to take him to a different vet.

9. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i agree he needs to see a vet asap he sounds extremely poorly

i know one of crazycrest & devildogz cresties is allergic to some wormers they might be able to advise when they come online, but please dont waste any time getting him to a vets

10. JenFraser

I didnt give the drontal wormer again to the pup, the wormer given was the one the vet had given to me to use, little did i know that it would cause the same problem as the drontal.
    I'm at work at the moment and my fiancee is caring for the pup.
    We have moved house a lot in the past couple of years so have never had one vet that we constantly go to and can trust, I'll try elsewhere if we need to take him again tonight or tomorrow or even later in the week depending on his condition.

My main question was if anyone else had seen a pup or fully grown dog suffer an alergy to a wormer or if there is any alternate treatment for worms I can look into?

Thanks

11. amanda460

amanda460 PetForums Junior

Hi - So are you using the liquid form of Drontal wormer then? I tried that with my pup and she stopped eating but kept trying to be sick, was very unsettled so I stopped it. I took her to the vets, as you do for a 1st checkup and mentioned this, and he popped a different wormer tablet down her, that worked a treat - she unfortunately was riddled with them, she even vomited up worms - awful but her treatment was a tablet once a month for 6 months. Maybe its the form of wormer that doesnt agree and the vet should advise an alternative. Either way, like you i'd be beside myself with worry but think i'd be having a second opinion in a flash - I hope she gets well really soon x

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive seen serious reactions in dogs and cats to petshop wormers and flea treatments. Ive known one cat die after having a dog flea spray put on it. One of my own cats almost died after being vaccinated. Some animals just cant handle such strong chemicals.

You need to look at the ingredients in each wormer, and see if any are found in both. It may be a new wormer, but be based on the same active ingredient as the last.

13. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

One of ours boys had reactions to 3 differnt wormers (Drontal, panacure, milbemax) Drontal being the worst.. He couldnt stand up, had puffy cheeks..and just looked a right mess..

I cant belive that you vet gave you another wormer to use..We was told not to give any wormer for a few days to make sure every thing was out of the system..I would consider changing vets!

There is only one wormer Mika can now have but it only treats round worm..Its called "piperazine citrate"..

14. JenFraser

Yep, I think we're going to give the poor little fella a rest from the wormer then go back to the vets and see if they can give him something that doesn't contain any of the ingredients found in drontal or the wormer the vet prescribed.
    You can tell he is riddled with worms, he has vomited up worms while being ill, the story sounds very similar to what happend to amanda460's pup, the drontal wormer was the liquid form, we havnt had a problem with it in the past with any of the other dogs.

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Was he not wormed by the breeder? Poor little guy, doesnt sound well at all.

16. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Also if he was wormed by the breeder did they use Drontal!?

Hope he improves soon..poor little chap.

17. JenFraser

I've just spoken to my fiancee, he says the pup is still gagging but looks better.

18. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

If you have a 8 wk old pup how comes your worming him ?
    I worm my pups just before they go to they new homes so they dont need doing again untill 10 wks old
    What wormer did the breeder use ? This would help if you knew
    And if you pup was ill from worming why keep on worming the pup i really dont get that one
    I would have waitied 7-10days and then try again with a different one
    I would have never used Drontal Puppy Wormer to start with
    And if you took your puppy to a different vet at least you get a second option

I hope your puppy gets well soon

19. JenFraser

I worm mine too just before they go to their new home, but we could see after a few days that the pup we just bought hadn't been done, who knows if he had ever been wormed.

We're not going to try worming him again for a week or two, I think it was a bit bad of the vet to tell us to worm him with the wormer she gave us straight away even though she suspected that wormer had caused the initial illness.

I've never had a problem with drontal puppy wormer in the past, all our dogs have been done with that one as pups with no problems, however our vet did say for some pups it can be a bit too strong and cause problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice