Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poorly Pug Puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Trace40, May 14, 2010.

1. Trace40

Trace40 PetForums Newbie

Our 7 month old Pug is ill and Im terrified Im going to lose him.

We noticed a bald patch on his front leg last week and on closer inspection there was some sort of growth there. This must have come up so quickly as its not in a spot we could have missed. We took him straight to the vet who prescribed some fungal cream and told us to give that a try and take him back on Wednesday just gone.

Well the cream didnt do anything at all so we took him back on Wednesday and the vet says he thinks its a form of cancer. He says if its the aggressive form he thinks it is then my baby will have to have his front leg amputated and we then have to hope that we've caught it in time.

He goes in for the lump removed on Monday morning and then they are sending it to the lab to be analyzed. We have to wait 7 - 10 days for the results and I am going to be absolutely petrified until we get them.

Im dreading it coming back and being the worst result possible. Hes only 7 months old and hes such a baby. He is the most loving, trusting dog I have ever had and will be devastated if he loses his leg or worse.

I dont even know how he would cope with 3 legs. Does anyone have experience of this and if so how do dogs cope with the loss of a leg? Im worried about him getting up and down the steps to get onto the garden and getting up onto the sofa and just general daily movements.

I cant believe how quickly this lump has appeared on his leg. He seems to be healthy enough, hes running about like a puppy does and hes eating as good as normal but the vet says under the circumstances that doesnt mean anything which doesnt really help to assure me hes going to be ok.

Fingers crossed that everything goes well with his operation on Monday and the results come back as nothing to worry about.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have they said what type of cancer they think it is?

I went through something similar with one of mine a few months ago. They thought he had a mast cell tumour on his nose; he had it removed and sent off and it came back clear. My vet was pretty sure it was something serious too.

I also have a 3 legged dog, and am more than happy to give you info in regards to life with one and how it affects their daily life.

3. Trace40

Trace40 PetForums Newbie

Hi Nonnie and thank you for your reply.

The vet did give us the name of the cancer but i was in such a daze it went straight over my head and I just heard amputation.

Does your dog cope with day to day life happily enough? My baby is only 7 months old so Im hoping if the worst happens he is young enough to learn to adapt to having one less limb.

Its so worrying. I just keep picking him up and hugging and kissing him.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Oscar is now 11, he lost his leg when he was 8. Within 3 days of the op he was up and going for a walk.

He still does everything as normal. Im only careful with him jumping from heights such as my bed and furniture as he tends to land in a heap otherwise.

He has a good quality joint supplement and i make sure his weight is kept to a healthy minimum.

They adapt extremely well and quickly. He gets atleast an hours off lead exercise a day, in the woods running around. He can run and play the same as any other dog.

If yours does have to have his removed, id be more than happy to talk you through it and the recovery period.

5. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

one of my little pugs had a growth on her front leg, it looked like a big pink wart, started as quite small and got to the size of a small grape, my vet said it was nothing to worry about and it would go on its own? it took about 2 months but completely disappeared and she is fine:) that was a couple of years ago, so it maybe just something like this:)

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I am really sorry to hear this and have my fingers x it turns out to be something minor on wedneday.
    Thinking of you x

7. Trace40

Trace40 PetForums Newbie

archiebaby the vet did say there are some lumps that can be left and will go on their own but he said the one on Marty's leg didnt look like one of those which is why they are removing it on Monday. I was hoping he would say give it a bit longer and see what happens but then again I wouldnt want to leave it and it make matters worse.

I'll be glad when Mondays over and hes back home again.

8. Trace40

Trace40 PetForums Newbie

Marty was at the vets on Monday for his lump removing. Bless him, I felt so guilty leaving him at the vets even though it was for his own good.

I'd only been home 10 minutes when the vets rang which set me off panicking. They were just about to start removing the lump and noticed that only 1 of his testicles had dropped - the other was still up in his tummy so they were going to castrate him at the same time and they also wanted to repair his umbilical hernia while he was under the anaesthetic.

We went to collect him at 5.30pm and he was bounding all over as if nothing was wrong bless him. He had a bright pink cast type bandage around his front leg and 3 lots of stitches in his tummy.

The nurse said everything went well with the operation and they were sending the lump off for testing. We have to wait up to 14 days for the results of that to come back now so I have everything crossed that hes going to be ok.

He had to go back last night for his leg dressing changed as hes run about so much it was falling off. He seems great in himself - running round, jumping about and eating everything he can find.

I'll update again when we get his test results back with hopefully good news.

9. Trace40

Trace40 PetForums Newbie

Well Marty is doing fine after his 3 operations last Monday.

The vets phoned yesterday with his test results on the lump they removed from his leg and apparently it was a fungal infection with a secondary infection underneath so nothing life threatening thank goodness.

I cant explain how relieved I am that it turned out to be nothing as serious as the vet thought and am now wondering if the cream they first prescribed would have worked if it had been used for longer than 5 days.

Marty is bounding about the house and garden as if he hasnt had anything done even though he still has 4 lots of stitches , one lot on his front leg and 3 separate lots in his tummy. Bless him , hes been so good. He hasnt even tried to lick or bite the stitches at all.

thanks

10. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

:) So glad its good news

11. Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy PetForums Member

woooohooo thats brilliant, im so pleased for you both!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice