Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poorly paw.....

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by francesandjon, Apr 22, 2011.

1. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

Koda is limping on his right front leg.....

We went for a check up at the vets on Tues - the vet said he was overweight :eek: (which I know is NOT true - you can feel his ribs without pressing hard) and that his behaviour issues weren't medical.

So.....we decided that we'd start a new routine of more strenious exercise.

Weds afternoon OH took him around our usual longer walk, but OH was on a bicycle, so dog-features had to run.....

I was away from home so didn't see him til Thurs pm...and noticed his limping.

Tried to have a look at his leg/paw today as it doesn't seem any better - no tenderness/heat down his leg....but it looks like he might have a blister on the big pad. It has not burst. About 90% it is a blister (difficult to see when a 48.5kg doesn't want you too) - torch light shines through....make sense??

Here's the question - what do we do?

He has been rested today (visiting my Dad, so can go in a kennel, or in the yard), but is limping worse than yesterday.

We are not at home so not near our normal vets - although my Dads dogs are going to their vet tomorrow for boosters, so we might be able to tag along.

Does he need to see a vet? Can we just keep an eye on it?

Antibiotic (sheep) spray.....presumably won't do any harm (except turn his paw purple :rolleyes:)

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

It's probably a blister as a result of upping the exercise too quickly. A dog shouldn't be expected to have a normal walk one day, and run with a bike the next, it needs to be built up very, very slowly so his fitness can increase.

If it's just a blister he shouldn't need the vet, I'd bathe the paw in warm salt water and rest him up for a couple of days with lead walks on soft ground only, and then when the blister is healed, start your new exercise routine again, but take things very slowly.

To be honest, he has been quite lucky. It's not uncommon for dogs to totally skin the flesh off their pads after having new, strenuous exercise introduced too quickly.

I hope he's feeling better soon.

3. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

If its not improved at all by tomorrow wouldnt hurt to buzz him to the vet with your dads dogs, i am sure they wouldn't mind ;)

Hope he is better soon xx

4. francesandjon

Its not a massive increase - he does a lot of running around anyway.....

I should probably have put "more regular strenous exercise"

5. francesandjon

Asked a vet this morning, and she said bandage it just to make it more comfortable....

It is still intact.

We have left it alone for now - it would cause a lot of stress for both human and dog if we tried to bandage it - and he is sitting quietly in the shade outside, leaving it alone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice