Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poorly neon

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Fishnewbie, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Fishnewbie

Fishnewbie PetForums Member

Hi All,

any idea what’s up with this Neon??

he looks really unwell colour dosnt look good almost looks bent.

have other neons and glowlights in there and there fine, is over two years old now...

Any advice would be great , have read about neon terra diesies and fish TB?!? Which sounds pretty scary ....

Attached Files:

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

NTD is always a worry with neons. I can't see clearly from the photos, but doesn't look like there's any sign of cysts, i.e. bumpy shape or loss of colour in patches? This would be the giveaway sign. From what I can see in the photos, I'd say more likely culprits would be intestinal parasites (worms) or just old age. Keep a close eye, feed a crushed garlic clove with its juices (remove uneaten portion after 24 hours), and keep a careful watch on the others to see if any of them start to display symptoms. I would consider euthanising the sick one using clove oil - he does look poorly with that sunken belly and lack of colour. Also, it would reduce the likelihood of any disease spreading.

Fishnewbie likes this.
  3. Fishnewbie

Fishnewbie PetForums Member

Thanks for the response, il try the garlic and keep an eye on the others, not sure Il be able to euthanise, If I see symptoms in others what’s the protocol ?

4. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Depends on the symptoms. If you see what looks like cysts and suspect NTD (see my previous post and look up images on Google etc), there's nothing you can do apart from QT or euthanise affected individuals to stop it spreading. If they're looking skinny with sunken bellies and generally losing condition, but no sign of cysts, try a dose of Kusuri Wormer Plus.

Fishnewbie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice