Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poorly lab

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Insane, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Insane

Insane PetForums Senior

My mother-in-law rang me yesterday to ask me whether dogs can get swine flu. She was looking after her daughters 10 year old lab who suddenly had become hardly able to move and had mucus blocking her nose. She has been to the vets today who has done tests and given her anti-biotics but she is no better tonight. Has anyone else had a dog with these symptoms?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I dont think they can.

They can get colds though. Is she coughing at all?

3. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

It could be a few things. Canine flu, kennel cough, canine cold etc

The vet might run tests if it doesn't clear up.
    x

#3 Acacia86, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  4. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

lots of kennel cough around at the mo.
    snotty noses can indicate a secondary infection on top of kc.

5. Insane

Insane PetForums Senior

I don't think she is coughing, just badly bunged up and has no energy. We have been on holiday and I left one of my dogs Stanley with her so I am hoping it is not contagious, although Stanley seems fine. Of course my main worry is for poor Tikka. The vet has also taken a biopsy from her neck to check for cancer which is worrying.

6. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

tip for snotty noses, try steam.
    take ur dog into the bathroom and generate lots of steam. This might help reduce the congestion.
    Dont be afraid to pk the crusty snot off the nose to maintain the air way a bit more. Always wash hands thoroughly after.
    Ur dog could be feeling pretty crap due to all the mucous she is producing, as long as its flowing that is good, just watch it doesnt get on her chest.
    If worried re chst infection try a bit of coupage, cup ur hand and gently pat all over her chest area to shift any mucous and encourage coughing it up.

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Dogs do not catch a cold, and don't get 'flu' the same as we do, we might all be mammals but don't share all the same illnesses.

Fingers crossed your girl is only suffering from a mild infection and AB's will soon sort it out. The longest mine have ever suffered from any tummy bug or any similar infection (which is very, very rare) has been 24 hours. The symptoms you describe sound similar to the last (and only) infection my bitch Tau had, she is a giddy kipper and so it was obvious when she was out of sorts, even if it was only for a short while.

8. Insane

Insane PetForums Senior

Unfortunately my sister-in-law has had to have Tikki pts today. Despite ab's in injection form and tablets she didn't get any better all weekend so she took her back to the vet this morning who told her she was going into renal failure. The vet believes (although he has not yet had the biopsy results back) that the underlying problem is cancer.

I really feel for her, Tikka was only 10. The last year has been a tough year for me with my dog Sid having lymphoma, so it is expected that Tikka should go first.

9. rona

rona Guest

So sorry to hear this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice