Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poorly kitty... any ideas what it could be?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by lovemykittys, Sep 15, 2013.

1. lovemykittys

lovemykittys PetForums Junior

Hi. So We have 2 kitties but this is regarding a stray, he has been in the area for about 2 months maybe a bit more, he would sneak in steal food and run if anybody saw him... he was also doing this in 2 neighbours homes but suddenly he started loosing weight but had a distended tummu, so eventually I managed to gain his trust (bribery :D) and got a neighbour who is a vet to have a look, he took him in said his bloods where a bit off... some things too high some things too low. I was told he had a viral infection and to keep him seperate from ours. we have been giving him antibiotics and worming stuff (he doesnt have worms). So after a week antibiotics his tummy goes down... and up again, he constantly wants food- I mean constantly! he drinks loads, he uses the litter tray faster than we can keep up with (MASSIVE stools now moouse like) And he has a gurgly belly and very bad wind.... my house smells SO bad. Oh he was dehydrated but he seems ok for that now and he had very flaky skin but that seems to have improved a lot. His hair is still messy though and is falling out a lot and we are brushing him more than our longhaired cats... He is seeing the vet next week but we are wondering if this sounds familiar to anybody to give us some suggestions because I def dont think this is any type of viral infection

2. Kyria

Kyria PetForums VIP

Oh my gosh your poor cat, he doesnt sound atall well to me. Obviously something is going on with his stomach.

Im sorry ive never came across this type of thing before, hopefully someone will come on and help you but I would say he needs vets asap.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It sounds possible the cat is reacting badly to his diet, and has food allergies or intolerances. It is not unusual, and could certainly account for the flatulence, the distended tummy and the constant hunger.

Are there several different neighbours feeding him, or just yourself. If just you, what are your feeding him? I would suggest for a start taking him off all foods that contain cereals, as these can be allergens to cats. I would also stop all dry foods as most of them contain fillers and grains. Foods like Hilife (poultry flavours) or Natures Menu are grain free, so worth trying him with those to see if things improve. Also, he may be less hungry if you feed him a high meat protein diet (such as HL or NM).

Also, do not give him any milk at all, as that could be a cause of problems, and ensure neighbours do not give him any.

How old does the vet think the cat is? If he is of senior yrs, then it is quite possible he could have an illness such as chronic kidney disease, liver problems, hypothyroidism, diabetes, or pancreatitis. Has the vet checked him for all these diseases?

4. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

If he's a stray he probably has worms, a bad case of worms could cause all the symptoms you've described :(

Get him back to the vets!

5. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Good advice from Chillminx.

6. lovemykittys

Thank you all. Regarding diet for the last week we have kept him here so he has only been on smilla and natures menu. The vet guessed at middle aged but said he was younger than he thought. As far as I know he has not been given any milk and certainly isnt getting any here. He does get the odd dreamy. Its definately not worms as the vets gave him stuff for it which we continued and was told to check his bottom and poo for them as they would be coming out but a whole week and not one worm.. not too sure what I am looking for but I gave them all a good old squish about lol. Not sure what tests have been done other than fiv flu and full blood test. I shall enquire about the things you have suggested chillminx. Thanks guys, just needed some possibilities to bring up to help find what it is, tbh they may already have some things in mind the vet said he is going to start him on water tablets this week.. not sure what for but he couldnt have them before as he was so dehydrated bless him x

7. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I would stop the Dreamies, some of the flavours contain cheese and the others are mainly rubbish, the kind of stuff you wouldn't want to feed your cat, if you look at the ingredients you will see what I mean. Unfortunately many cat treats are made of this same stuff and if they only get a few it is OK as long as they are healthy.

Cat treats are notoriously unhealthy little things, just look at the ingredients lists on the packs or find it online. Sprayed with nasty stuff, like the cheap dry food is, to make them attractive to cats.

That alone isn't going to make the cat well, but it might help a little :D

8. lovemykittys

aww i know but I just feel he deserves the odd treat with him being so poorly, he has no interest in toys or anything if he not eating he just lying there looking sorry for himself :(

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If you want to give him a treat occasionally it'd be better to give him something like Thrive, as they are just little chunks of dried meat or fish, and cats love them! Much healthier than Dreamies.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice