Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

poorly kitten - advice needed please

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by marialuna, Jun 9, 2010.

1. marialuna

marialuna PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone i'm new here - my name's Maria and my beautiful kitten is Luna. I was hoping you could give me some adive / opinions coz i've no idea whats wrong with my kitten.

I've had Luna since she was 7 weeks totally nutty kitten as they usually are. Then i had her innoculations done at 9 weeks 2nd day she was back to her usual self but a day or 2 later she's off her food, doesn't want to play etc. Took her to vet who said its a virus gave her injections of ibuprofen and antibiotic since, she bucked up for a day or two then went downhill again. Took her to vets again today they gave her a vitamin b12 shot to stimulate her apetite - she's eating and drinking but only with encouragement. She was totally fine before her innoculations - she hadn't left my room let alone the house so how could she pick up a virus in the first place???

Thank you for taking the time to read x

2. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Aw poor Luna well not being a vet myself and not knowing Luna, my best advice would be to see another vet maybe and get 2nd opinion, did the vet do blood tests? or did he/she just assume it was a virus? sorry can't be of anymore help hope little Luna is okay tho:):)

Mo xxx

3. marialuna

Thanks so much for replying Mo, as i'm sure you know there's nothing more distressing that seeing an animal unwell and not knowing what to do.

No they didn't do any blood tests, you're right they just assumed it was a virus. I've been looking on the web to find out how a cat contracts a virus with no luck - she's never been outside as she hasn't had her second jab yet.

She's eating more today - tuna in sunflower oil - been told in brine is bad for cats' kidneys and i have an oral syringe to squirt water down her mouth (cant think of an eloquent way to put that sorry). She's a little better today but in different ways yesterday she wouldn't eat much but drank loads today she's eating plenty but not drinking much,

Its the last day of her antibiotics today so tomorrow i'm going to take your advice and take her to a different vet.

Thanks you so much

Maria xxx :) :) :)

4. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Oh no probs honey sorry I couldn't be more helpful, its so difficult to know, if she is having wet food wouldn't worry too much about her drinking cos she will get fluid from the food, my Geri has never been and still isn't a big drinker but as she has wet food I figure thats ok, well see how she goes tomorrow maybe its just taking time for the medication to work, at least she is eating which is always a good sign, keep me updated and good luck:thumbup::thumbup:

Mo xx

5. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

i'd pop her back to a different vets hun, at least until you know what virus your dealing with (if it is a virus), or whether its just a nasty reaction to the jabs.

I dont want to worry you overly, but i would also be questioning any vet who was prescribing ibruprofen in cats, its a very very fine balancing act to not od so its very rarely used.

sorry i cant be more help x

6. LisaLQ

LisaLQ PetForums Senior

I would get a second opinion too. Might be that she was just a bit too young to leave mum, and needs time to settle in more? Our adult girls are only starting to eat full meals now, and they've been here a couple of weeks.

7. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

awwww poor kitten hope she feel better soon smokey when he was little went off his food for along time it hard when there ill i would take her back to the vets if she dont pick up

8. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

I'm not sure whether I can comment on the vets' treatment myself, but I would say if her appetite reduces again or she seems unwell to get her checked straight away.

If she is eating plenty of wet food, I wouldn't worry too much if she isn't drinking too much, as cats get a lot of moisture from their food. Might be worth keeping an eye on her litter tray just to make sure she's weeing the usual amount. If pretty much normal, then she's getting the liquid.

9. KatieW92

KatieW92 PetForums Junior

Oh, poor Luna. It's so horrible having an unwell cat. Like the others have said, get a second opinion. Hope Luna gets well soon :thumbup: x

10. marialuna

Thanks everyone you've been absolutely brilliant in my and Luna's time of need, so glad i joined this forum.

She's eating ok now but off her food, her last antibiotic was last nite

I wil take your advice and take her to a different vet. I miss the Lunatic that runs round my room 20 miles per hour and always wants to play.

I will keep you updated on what happens

Thanks you everyone for your posts and good wishes

maria xxx

11. marialuna

Thank you everyone for your posts. Although I'm very glad i joined this forum and look forward to getting to know people here, i may not be around for a little while as Luna, my kitten, passed away peacefully at the vets yesterday. She had kidney failure which the vet said she must've been born with.

I wish you all the very best and hope to catch up with you all when my sadness at losing Luna has eased.

Maria xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

12. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

Oh hunni I'm so so sorry!

losing any pet is hard but so much worse when they are young. You gave Luna so much love even in a short time that she was truly blessed.

My prayers and wishes are with you *hugs*

13. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear about your little kitty :(:( may she RIP - hugs for u and we are all here if u need us xxx

14. Wendy1969

Wendy1969 PetForums Member

So sorry to hear your sad news :sad: Run free at the Rainbow bridge little Luna x

15. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

poor luna x x

16. girlyhouse

girlyhouse PetForums Senior

oh no , im so very very sorry.xxx

17. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear your sad news but at least you gave her a happy life and she was well cared for.You and Luna are in our thoughts.

18. marialuna

Thank you everyone for your words of comfort, advice before that and for caring - you are all a genuine lovely people. My Dad died a month or more before so i hope they are together somewhere making each other happy.

Thank you all so much xxx

19. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry :(

R.I.P Luna

20. dharma66

dharma66 PetForums Senior

I'm so, so sorry.

From what you about her 20mph sessions, it sounds like you gave her a lot of joy in her short life.

I don't believe that the love we give is ever wasted. Somewhere, somehow she is benefitting from having known you.

My thoughts are with you all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice