UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if anyone can shed any light please.

He belongs to an older lady who is partially sighted and cant hear properly. She lives by herself and relies on the little man a lot. Worrying herself silly atm

Poor little chap had an ear infection and went to the vets. They gave him pain relief and antibiotic drops. 4 days later he stopped eating. Back to the vet today, infection is clearing up but he refuses to eat and is just lying around. Was a bit dehydrated so they've given him fluids and got that sorted. Taken bloods and waiting for results. He's 5.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Wonder if anyone can shed any light please.

He belongs to an older lady who is partially sighted and cant hear properly. She lives by herself and relies on the little man a lot. Worrying herself silly atm

Poor little chap had an ear infection and went to the vets. They gave him pain relief and antibiotic drops. 4 days later he stopped eating. Back to the vet today, infection is clearing up but he refuses to eat and is just lying around. Was a bit dehydrated so they've given him fluids and got that sorted. Taken bloods and waiting for results. He's 5.
Was the pain medication NSAIDs like metacam or rimadyl there is other brand names too? Common side effects can be loss of appetite, depression, lethargy,
and even vomitting and diarrhoea. So could just be them if thats what he has had. Hopefully thats all it might be and stopping them will reverse it. If he was dehydrated that can cause lethargy too.

I should think they have done bloods though because NSAIDs in susceptible dogs can cause ulceration and kidney and liver problems aswell.

Ulceration there would be vomitting with blood or black tarry stools.Might be worth seeing if you can check his gums too to see if pale or whitish although the vet should have done that anyway.

Liver would likely cause vomitting loss of appetite, yellowing of whites of eyes, gums. Kidney problems would cause vomitting loss of appetite, drinking more peeing more and because of this can cause dehydration.

Hopefully though the bloods will come back OK which would/should rule out the above problems and its just a side effect of the meds and the dehydration.
Just watch for any of the other signs mentioned just in case, however the bloods shouldnt take that long, infact they should be done in house and be back in very little time.

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I dont think there was mention of NSAID's but that was my first thought. I will try and find out.

Thanks for helping:D

He's started picking at food and had a small drink. She's no idea what meds he's had last week or today and blood results are due in tomorrow. Sounds as tho he's on the mend - thank gawd.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I dont think there was mention of NSAID's but that was my first thought. I will try and find out.

Thanks for helping:D
If they have given him pain relief I should think its likely to be some sort of NSAIDs would be the most likely the only other would be steroidal and I cant see it being those,
in fact steroid anti inflamms tend to stimulate the appetite and thirst so they are hungry usually and drink more.

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks SDH, it was my first thought and sounds likely. His output (what there's been) is ok so hopefully nothing too much to worry about.:D

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Thanks SDH, it was my first thought and sounds likely. His output (what there's been) is ok so hopefully nothing too much to worry about.:D
Keep us updated how he is poor little guy hope its nothing to worry about x

·
Premium Member
33,922 Posts
Poor little chap, hope his feeling better soon.

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Poor little man aint so good. He's at the vets overnight having fluids pushed thro. Blood tests revealed kidney disease:(

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No news as yet. She rang at 9 as arranged but they are still checking him over:(

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She's just rung again and they still cant tell her anything - she suspects they are waiting for the results of yesterday's bloods.:confused:

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
So sorry the poor little chaps got suspected Kidney disease, If they have given NSAIDs which can cause problems any way especially in susceptible dogs with underlying conditions it wont have helped. In fact most manufacturers say that bloods should be taken before they are put on the Dam stuff which most dont ever seem to do.

So sad for the little chap and his poor owner.

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just had an update. Kidneys and liver are fine. "His hormones aren't producing something" so they've given him a cortisone injection and he's picked up. Keeping him in overnight. They've taken in some food and as long as he eats in the morning, he can come home.

He will be on tablets for the rest of his life.

God bless him it sounds as tho he's going to be ok and can continue being eyes and ears for his Mum :D

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Just had an update. Kidneys and liver are fine. "His hormones aren't producing something" so they've given him a cortisone injection and he's picked up. Keeping him in overnight. They've taken in some food and as long as he eats in the morning, he can come home.

He will be on tablets for the rest of his life.

God bless him it sounds as tho he's going to be ok and can continue being eyes and ears for his Mum :D
Might be Addisons its the opposite to what daisys got which is cushings, she produces too much cortisol with addisons you dont produce enough. She has to take vetoryl to suppress it, which would explain cortisol and why he had a cortisol injection. Usually though they have to do an ACTH test that goes away, unless they have done it while he was in there and got it confirmed. They dont usually take that long to come back.

I know a bit about Addisons but not so much as in Cushings obviously I did read up on it and symptoms as if Daisys meds supress it too much it can send her the other way Addisons and she can have an addisonian crash, which is likely what he had if thats the problem.

Think but you would need to check there is two types, one they dont produce aldosterone which is a hormone needed for electrolyte balance that type I think they have to take Florinef that replacess the Hormone.

The other type the Aldosterone is OK, its just ack of cortisol, which if he has only been given cortisol then that might be the type he has, in which case he will need to take meds too but usually just something like Predisone to replace it.

Either way he will have to stay on meds like daisy but for the opposite reason.

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks SDH, I did a small bit of research earlier and plumped for Addisons and saw the 2 types. Hence was thinking along those lines myself.

Isn't predisone along the same lines as prednisolone - steroid? Surely not good having steroids indefinitely or am I on the wrong wavelength here?

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Thanks SDH, I did a small bit of research earlier and plumped for Addisons and saw the 2 types. Hence was thinking along those lines myself.

Isn't predisone along the same lines as prednisolone - steroid? Surely not good having steroids indefinitely or am I on the wrong wavelength here?
The body makes its own natural cortisol its something thats needed, however when it all goes wrong the body either makes too much Cushings like Daisy or not enough Addisons like him. So in his case the only alternative is to replace it with the Predisone. Depending on the type he may need and/or Florinef as well if there is an aldesterone problems as well

Just had a search for more info because as said I know more about cushings then I do about Addisons because of Daisy. Dont know if you saw these?

Addison's Disease

Properly Diagnosing Addison’s Disease and Your Dog’s Treatment Options - Whole Dog Journal Article

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.