Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

poorly foot

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lizzyboo, Apr 29, 2011.

1. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

radley has hurt his paw, well more his nail (his thumb one) he came in from the garden this morning with blood all over the side of his paw and on closer inspection it looks like he has broken his nail at i suppose what would be the nail bed. it stopped bleeding very quickly (which is a good sign... right?) i have put some padding on it and a bandage round it... and cleaned it with anti-bacterial stuff and a sock overt he bandage. he is walking ok and doesnt apear to be any sort of pain now...

will it get better by itself or will i have to take him to the vets tomorrow?

2. rona

rona Guest

If it's not bothering him then I would think it's just the nail. Keep an eye on it for nail bed infections, but it should be ok unless he has actually pulled the ligament. I'm sure he would be limping if he had.

3. DougGeneration

DougGeneration PetForums Junior

It will never hurt to be sure, and safe at the same, time so I suggest go see the vet.

4. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

thanks rona x much appriciated x

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Should be ok without the vets providing you can keep it clean - bathe it in salt water several times a day, dry thoroughly and apply antiseptic cream if you feel it's needed. I wouldn't be covering it all the time though - it needs fresh air to help it heal, keep it uncovered whenever you can supervise, and cover only for walks and when you can't supervise (if he is inclined to chew/lick - although some licking is fine).

6. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

can i use human antiseptic cream like savlon etc for him?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice