Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poorly dog- can you help

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Joewig, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Joewig

Joewig PetForums Newbie

Our dog (13 year old cocker spaniel) 2 days ago started to walk funny - quite drunk looking. When standing still his back legs would spray apart.
    The following morning he can no longer stand or walk. Not eating or drinking. We support his head in his bowl of water and he dies nothing. I feel that if we let go of his head he would just stay there and drown!
    He then started having very bad fits and within 12 hours had 5.

Woke this morning( hubby spent night beside dog) no change. Stanley appears distant. Not moving independently . No sounds coming from him. Very floppy.
    Still not eating or drinking

Would appreciate any advice

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

To the Vet ASAP.

lullabydream and Kittynanna like this.
  3. Marj555

Marj555 PetForums Newbie

I would get the vet out, or take him in.

4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm really hoping the dog has been seen by a vet by now , he should have been seen 2 days ago. This is now an emergency so please get him seen today.
    It sounds as if he's had a stroke and needs some relief from his symptoms.
    Please let us know what the vet says and does.

Kittynanna likes this.
  5. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Ditto the above posts - what did your Vet say after the first attack two days ago? If you didn't take him then, I would call the Vet out now. Personally in situations like this I always have a housecall. This sounds like a dog who has perhaps had a stroke but only your vet can say. And if he 'appears distant' and is 'very floppy' then i would definitely have a house call....

J

6. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Oh dear, I hope he's okay. He sounds seriousy ill, and needs a vet ASAP!

7. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

I agree with all the above, get him seen by the vet asap. If a child or family member has any strange behaviour or symptoms like this you would see the dr immediately, no different for a pet in my opinion.
    Hope he's ok.

Burrowzig and Jackie C like this.
  8. danielled

danielled Guest

Vets now. Vet needs to see your poor dog.

9. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

I'd take him to a vet ASAP, this sounds serious..Or ask your vet to come to your house.Good luck!!

10. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hopefully his seen a vet by now, let us know what he said and how your dog is now.

11. Joewig

Joewig PetForums Newbie

Can I put everyone's minds to rest. When Stanley showed signs of being poorly. We took him straight away to the vet. The vet said it could be an infection and gave Stanley an antibiotic jab which lasts 24 hours,-and also a strong pain killer injection. Told us to go home and give the antibiotic 24 hours to work and see if any improvement made. We waited with Stanley through the night. Using a dropper to squeeze water into the side of his mouth at regular intervals carrying him to the garden to see if he would wee and also for fresh air. Still no improvement. So will a heavy and I mean heavy heart . Myself and my family who are heart broken took booked our dog in to the vets to be put to sleep . We knife that his quality of life was poor especially as he not eating/ moving. So for his last hour of his life myself and my family sat with Stanley on the grass in the middle of his favourite park.
    The vet was very kind and gave us time to grieve our dog a process we will. E doing gorba long time. Our heart and house feel empty. No more wagging tail to greet you. No more unconditional love given. No more comfort to my 3 children who have grown up with Stanley. No more crazy dog running madly around the house to our laughter.
    So please everyone we dealt with Stanley with the best interest and all the love in the world! I asked advice to see if anyone knew of Stanleys sudden decline in health , had anyone experienced it before. The vet thought tumors and with Stanleys she advised sleep would be kindness thing.

12. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear you lost Stanley.
    I replied to the OP, as it stood, as did everybody on here, I think.
    Obviously you did your very best for him, and he was a lucky boy to be so well loved.

13. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

So sorry , it was a brave and kind thing you did. RIP Stanley.

14. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I'm certain you did exactly the right thing for Stanley.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

15. Joewig

Joewig PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone. Does the pain get any easier? My hubby is in bits

16. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Yes, it does.

Right now, it will seem overwhelming, but in time, you will be able to remember Stanley without feeling the pain you do now.

17. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Senior

I know exactly how you feel right now I lost my toy poodle the one on the left as you look at the picture in May this year with a growth near his liver and still miss him like mad he was 13 and a half years old. I hope as time goes on I will come to terms with it and look back as I hope you will that we gave him a very happy life.

18. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry to hear about Stanley, it's hard when they leave us, the pain does get easier but I don't think it ever completely goes away, but happy memories do help.

19. Joewig

Joewig PetForums Newbie

Can I say a big thank you to everyone for your kind words.

It's so devastating and heart breaking being without our Stanley. Every member of our house feels empty in their own reasons.
    You don't realise all the little things you do as part of routines. I went to open door this morning to let him out . My husband is taking himself for a dog walk without the dog as he is so upset ( Stanley went everywhere with my hubby)
    The big thing I'm going to miss is opening the front door when I get home and seeing his wagging tail and excited to see you face! Gosh I loved and still love with all my heart our Stanley

Attached Files:

20. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Senior

I still miss my poodle Rusty terribly after 3 and a half months especially in the evenings when he would curl up at my feet on the reclining footrest I still find I keep the space for him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice