Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poorly dog advice

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Westdale, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Westdale

Westdale PetForums Newbie

Hello

I'm hoping for a bit of advice, I took my springer out for her usual walk this afternoon and see was absolutely fine however since our return she's been very subdued and definately not her usual bouncy self so I'm a little worried. She's never normally poorly or off colour so I'm a little unsure how to handle it, if it was a normal day I'd probably give my vet a quick call but being bank holiday I have no one to ask for advice.

My husband thinks we should keep an eye on her and get her to the vet in the morning if she doesn't brighten up which I'm sure is the right thing to do however I don't like seeing her poorly and wondered whether I should find a vet to see her this evening?

Any advice/reassurance would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

More info needed. How old is she? Is she eating/drinking? Have you taken her temperature? Are her gums a healthy pink?

3. Westdale

Thanks for your reply, she's 2 & half, has eaten a little bit of hotdog I haven't fed her this evening (wasn't sure whether to), gums are pink but we've not taken her temp (no thermometer)

Thanks

4. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I'd probably keep an eye on her at the moment. Could she have swallowed anything? Poisons etc? Is it cold where you are? If so, could she have gotten near anti-freeze? It's appealing to dogs, but quite toxic.

5. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Is it possible she walked longer than usual and may just be a little tired?

Is she drinking or showing signs of looking for her dinner? Is she alert or quite sleepy?

When you are looking at her gums just give them a gentle press and see how quickly they return to normal colour.

6. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Does she have any other symptoms other than being quiet?

If she lies down and refuses to get up, I'd call the emergency vets. If she looks restless, unable to settle down, salivates at the mouth or puffs out in the belly at all, rush her to the vet as it could be bloat which is life threatening.

7. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

As the owner of energetic types, it is easy to think they're ill when they're quiet/being good.
    One of mine didn't get told off last night & slept in a crate when he didn't have to. Today he's back to normal. :rolleyes:

8. Westdale

We've done our normal walk, she's def not been near anti-freeze but she is very lethargic and looking at me with her sad eyes and just sat at my feet, we've pressed her gums and they return to pink straight away. When she moves it's slowly with tail between her legs :(

She's not had any water since we've been back, think I'll put a little food out for her and see how she reacts,

9. Westdale

Thanks for your speedy advice, I'm going to put a little food out for her and see how she goes and will let you know later how we get on.

10. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I would try her with some food - I think that is a good indicator if she is not herself - if she doesn't take it just make sure she is drinking water even if you have to persuade her to take it and keep an eye on her.

Hopefully she is just tired.

11. Westdale

Just wanted to let you know that she's eaten her dinner without problem and is now curled up next to me snoring away. She had a hip replacement 12 months ago and she maybe limping slightly on that leg so we're wondering whether she's tweaked her hip and is in a bit of discomfort, we'll certainly keep an eye on her and take her to our vet if she's still out of sorts in the morning.

Thanks again for your replies.

12. holyshihtzu

holyshihtzu Guest

my shih tzu is poorly he is 6 months and been vomiting non stop, took him for a walk today but he didn't last long before he wanted to be carried. so i am going to take mine to the vet tomorrow as well, if your dog has been physically sick with hold food just over night if she still doesn't eat then a trip to the vet may be needed. do the dehydration test with her skin on the back if it goes right back she is hydrated if it goes slowly then she is dehydrated.

Hope this helps:)

13. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I would consider taking her to the vet anyway because dogs have a habit of hiding their pain - we humans could learn a lot from our four legged friends.

Good luck.

14. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If she is moving very slowly when she does move, and the rest of the time and if she can doesnt want to move at all or it seems until she really has too, I think she may have pain and discomfort somewhere. if pain is acute enough it often makes them not want to eat and take themselves off in a lot of dogs anyway. Is she slow to rise and lower herself as well? Not attempting to jump up onto things, or if she does its with extreme care and thought first?
    You sometimes dont see any problems whist they are walking and active sometimes its only after where they have lay or slept for awhile that an injury pain or discomfort becomes apparent. If no better tommorow vets for a proper exam might be in order.

15. Westdale

There's definately something not right with her so I'll take her too the vets tomorrow, thankfully no work for me until Wednesday.

16. Westdale

We've been to the vets and she's got a slightly high temp and vet thinks she has a bit of a throat infection as her glands (I think!) are swollen, so we have antibiotics & metacam.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice