Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poorly belly

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Genie, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Genie

Genie PetForums Member

I'm pretty sure I know the reason, but in the morning, my 8 week old puppy has diarrhea, and as the day goes on his stools get more solid.

Could this be stress from being in his crate? We're working on training him to enjoy his crate, but we've only had him a few days and he wasn't crate trained.

2. sallygunes

sallygunes PetForums Member

are u sure its not down to his food,or a change in food maybe? what are you feeding him ?

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Puppies can get loose motions and diarrhoea from stress when they first come home and on leaving mum and littermates, so stress can certainly cause it in the early days. Usually as long as they are drinking and eating well have plenty of energy, are bright and alert and interested in things and playing its usually nothing to worry about and it should ease off as they settle in.

Obviously if he becomes depressed, lethargic and uninterested in things, off food and water and other things like vomiting starts, or the diarrhoea becomes excessive or worse, or doesn't clear up then you would need to get him checked out.

If pups have never seen or been in a crate then they can become very stressed at finding themselves shut in, being alone too at night if he has someone all day and after being with mum and littermates in his normal surroundings may be doing it too.

Is he still on the same food he was on at the breeders too? Sudden abrupt changes of food can make them loose or give them diarrhoea, especially on top of the relocation stress. Even if the food isn't the greatest and you do want to change, its usually best to keep them on it until more settled the do a gradual change over adding a little more of the new and a little less of the old on a daily basis over a week or so.

4. Genie

Genie PetForums Member

I got him from a woman, 5 days after she got him. Poor mite. She was very un helpful. He was on dry food, I've given him bakers puppy dry, mixed with some wet which seems to help a little.

He is very very active, sleepy but puppy sleepy, and his motions firm up as the day goes on.

As I've tried him on both, is it any better to continue on wet food only, or dry food only, or a mixture?

5. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Get him a good dry food and off the Bakers stuff. You could try CHappie wet as this seems to help some dogs with upset tums.

6. Sled dog hotel

To be honest Bakers is one of the worse foods as its full of artificial things and has sugars in it. Its caused a lot of problems in dogs from hyper activity and skin problems and loose motions.

You would be better to get him on more natural food, with meat and what sort of meat listed as the first main ingredient in the highest quantity. Wet or dry doesn't really matter as long as its a more natural highly digestible food.

7. Genie

Genie PetForums Member

Thank you!

Wil do. I did remember I'd been told giving them bakers was like feeding them Macdonalds, but surely it wouldn't be such a popular brand!?

8. Sled dog hotel

Bakers is one of the foods that tends to be regularly and heavily advertised, plus just about every supermarket carries it so its one of the ones that's easily obtainable and to pick up with the weekly shop. You usually find in the main that the high end and more natural foods are not carried in supermarkets.

For whats in Bakers see an old thread, a member also contacted them about whats in it ingrediants wise if you look further on in the thread.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/268484-bakers-complete-revealed.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice